Puppy abandoned in Norwich needs eye operation
An animal charity is urging people to think carefully before getting a pet, after a puppy was abandoned because it needs an urgent eye operation.
The eight-week-old chihuahua puppy was found at a Norwich veterinary practice earlier this week, having been left there by anonymous owners.
The RSPCA Norwich and Mid-Norfolk branch believe the puppy was abandoned due to a tumour in the dog's left eye.
The RSPCA are now caring for the young dog, which staff have named Salsa.
'We think that Salsa is from a litter of puppies, but because of her eye, the owners have decided that they cannot care for her,' said Claire Feek, animal care manager at the Barrack Street-based branch.
You may also want to watch:
'People don't always realise the true costs of keeping an animal, and we really want to encourage people to think long and hard about whether they really can afford everything that an animal needs – including operations.'
Salsa will have to have her eye removed as it is causing her pain and discomfort and the operation will cost about �240. The puppy will make a full recovery and will be available to be re-homed once she has recovered and is old enough.
- 1 Fresh questions over 'Japanese restaurant' in Norwich home
- 2 Police concerned for 25-year-old missing man from Norwich
- 3 Vigil begins as body of 'selfless' nurse arrives at cathedral
- 4 Councillor questions need for new homes plan near Norwich
- 5 Former city boxing champion denies threats to slash partner's throat
- 6 New £1.9m council car park gets go-ahead despite opposition
- 7 Woman who stole from vulnerable woman has to pay back £2000
- 8 Man jailed for attacking homeless victim with bike tool
- 9 Road closure warning for £940,000 traffic shake-up in Norwich
- 10 Photos show progress made on new £2.75m recycling centre in Norwich
On average, each dog that the RSPCA takes in, treats and re-homes costs around �500. The charity relies on public support to fund its work.
The branch has lots of dogs and cats looking for new homes and anyone interested in an adopting an animal, or who would like to make a donation, can log on to www.rspcanorwich.org or contact The Paws Centre on 01603 766001, which is open Tuesdays to Sundays from 11am to 4pm.