Pupils play their part in big event to raise awareness of deafness
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters at Angel Road Infant and Junior Schools have taken part in a national event which raises awareness of deafness.
Pupils at the schools got together to learn sign language to a song which they performed together as part of Sign2Sing – an annual event which helps to raise funds for the Deaf Health Charity SignHealth.
Sue Graham, music co-ordinator at both schools, said: 'The infant and junior school are a federation, so we had year two from the infant school come over and join year's three to six here for an assembly.
'And because we didn't have enough room, reception and year one at the infant school did the signing at the same time, but at the infant school. The children love doing the signing. The educational value of raising awareness of deafness is important.'
The children signed a song, called Friends Forever, which was written for the event by another school, and Mrs Graham hopes that Angel Road will have their song sung by schools across the UK next year.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We're going to open it to the school so we create a song to be sung.
'We incorporate signing into our school now and it is a real eye opener to them. But they do it without complaint and they love it. It raises their awareness and brings the whole school together.'
For more information about Sign2Sing, visit www.sign2sing.org.uk
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 5 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 6 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 7 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 8 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 9 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 10 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
Have you got a story to tell? Email email@example.com