Pub in Norwich’s Golden Triangle set to close
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
The owner of a well-known city pub popular with locals and students alike has announced its closure.
The Garden House pub, located in Pembroke Road, will close on Sunday October 14 as owner Enterprise Inns will not be renewing the lease with the current landlord.
The pub will be taken over by Craft Union Pub Company, which is part of the Enterprise Inns group, who own over 200 pubs across the UK.
A spokesman for The Garden House posted the announcement on Facebook and expressed their 'sadness' at the decision.
'It is with much sadness that we have to announce our closure of The Garden House.
You may also want to watch:
It is not our decision to do so but Enterprise Inns have denied us a renewal of our lease as they will be turning it into a Craft Union Pub (Managed House).
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 5 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 6 Police seal off building site in Norwich
- 7 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub
- 8 Police cordon remains in place after serious sex assault in Norwich
- 9 Man who took baby from Norfolk hospital to be sentenced
- 10 Woman arrested after city centre row
'We are grateful for all the support you have shown us over the years with many new friends made.
'We will be operating as normal until October 14 which will see us closing the doors to the public for the final time, BUT, until then we hope to see as many of your faces as we can to say, not goodbye, but, until next time.' READ MORE: Take a look inside Panda - Norwich's new prosecco and wine bar
The management also intend to hold a 'little shindig' to say goodbye with more details to follow.
Oscar Gerdes, landlord The Garden House, said: 'It is with great sadness and not a little disbelief, having explored all legal avenues, we have been forced into closing Garden House after 11 years of operation.
'Our staff have been exceptional in their support and are continuing to operate Garden House until closure on October 14.
'This is a very difficult time and we hope customers, new and old, will support us to the end.'
A spokesman for Craft Union Pub Company said: 'We are delighted to be taking over The Garden House, Norwich.
'We believe that the British pub plays a vital role in the lives of its customers and our philosophy at Craft Union is to put brilliant pubs back at the heart of local communities.
'We are committed to nurturing this by investing in the pub by ensuring that we retain the tradition and the heritage alongside maintaining the quality of the community offer.'