Pub in Norwich’s Golden Triangle set to close
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
The owner of a well-known city pub popular with locals and students alike has announced its closure.
The Garden House pub, located in Pembroke Road, will close on Sunday October 14 as owner Enterprise Inns will not be renewing the lease with the current landlord.
The pub will be taken over by Craft Union Pub Company, which is part of the Enterprise Inns group, who own over 200 pubs across the UK.
A spokesman for The Garden House posted the announcement on Facebook and expressed their 'sadness' at the decision.
'It is with much sadness that we have to announce our closure of The Garden House.
It is not our decision to do so but Enterprise Inns have denied us a renewal of our lease as they will be turning it into a Craft Union Pub (Managed House).
- 1 Winter Wonderland in Norwich park cancelled – but may move elsewhere
- 2 'Dude, where's my car?!' City girl's new Fiesta vanishes
- 3 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 4 New Burger King site approved in city centre
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 City restaurant offers free Christmas meals to 'anyone that needs it'
- 7 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 8 Christmas train with tunnel of lights running at Norwich park
- 9 Kitchen for Christmas? People out of luck with builders booked until 2023
- 10 A Sprowston home is for sale... and it comes with an established business
'We are grateful for all the support you have shown us over the years with many new friends made.
'We will be operating as normal until October 14 which will see us closing the doors to the public for the final time, BUT, until then we hope to see as many of your faces as we can to say, not goodbye, but, until next time.' READ MORE: Take a look inside Panda - Norwich's new prosecco and wine bar
The management also intend to hold a 'little shindig' to say goodbye with more details to follow.
Oscar Gerdes, landlord The Garden House, said: 'It is with great sadness and not a little disbelief, having explored all legal avenues, we have been forced into closing Garden House after 11 years of operation.
'Our staff have been exceptional in their support and are continuing to operate Garden House until closure on October 14.
'This is a very difficult time and we hope customers, new and old, will support us to the end.'
A spokesman for Craft Union Pub Company said: 'We are delighted to be taking over The Garden House, Norwich.
'We believe that the British pub plays a vital role in the lives of its customers and our philosophy at Craft Union is to put brilliant pubs back at the heart of local communities.
'We are committed to nurturing this by investing in the pub by ensuring that we retain the tradition and the heritage alongside maintaining the quality of the community offer.'