Probe into Norfolk school snow closures
Steve DownesAn official investigation has been launched to find out why so many schools closed during last week's snowy weather.Steve Downes
An official investigation has been launched to find out why so many schools closed during last week's snowy weather.
Norfolk County Council is set to look into the situation, which saw 382 shut on January 7 and more than 350 close on January 8 amid freezing temperatures and significant snowfall.
Some headteachers cited health and safety as the main reason, amid fears of accidents on icy playgrounds, while more than 120 schools closed because not enough members of staff could make it to work.
The flurry of closures polarised debate, with some people accusing schools of closing too readily and others backing the heads' decisions.
You may also want to watch:
At yesterday's children's services overview and scrutiny panel, the council's cabinet member for children's services, Shelagh Hutson, said; 'There has been a lot of debate about the closure of schools because of snow. What we propose to do is get a report prepared going into the ins and outs of why the decisions were made.'
She said the report would be presented to the panel at its meeting on March 11.
- 1 Landlord fined £6,100 for state of Norwich apartment block
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protesters arrested for smashing Barclays windows
- 3 Vulnerable 15-year-old brought to Norwich from London to deal drugs
- 4 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 5 Third time lucky for historic pub's reopening
- 6 Tables fill at restaurants and pubs as bar serves 450 on reopening day
- 7 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 8 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 9 Work starts to transform former bakery into £13m site
- 10 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
What do you think about the high number of school closures. Write to Evening News letters at Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE, or email email@example.com