Scam account tries to tempt Primark shoppers with fake giveaway
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
Primark has issued a warning to shoppers following a spate of fake accounts offering giveaways, vouchers and goodie bags.
The chain, which has stores in Norwich and King's Lynn, first warned of such accounts at the start of March but has seen a number of new posts claiming to be the company circulating on social media this weekend.
In the last 24 hours, new posts have emerged offering a special gift bag "full of goodies" and a voucher worth £75 to spend in store to mark the business's 51st birthday.
In a separate post, the unofficial page said winners had received comments asking them to register on a site to receive their gift and that it was "real and official".
A Primark spokesman said: “We have been made aware of some social media posts from fake accounts offering Primark competitions, giveaways, vouchers/goodie bags. We can confirm we have no connection to these accounts and are working hard to have them removed. Our official accounts have a blue verified tick next to them."
You may also want to watch:
Adam French, Which? Consumer Rights Expert, said online scams were happening on an "industrial scale".
He added: “You should be suspicious if you see a new social media account advertising for a company you know well, as it may be a scammer pretending to be that brand.
“Sometimes enticing posts offering competitions or giveaways on social media link to a fake login page, so be wary of following any links or sharing personal information, you could by giving those details to a scammer."
- 1 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 2 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 3 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 4 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 5 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 6 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 7 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 8 Norwich man in court over more than 84,000 indecent images
- 9 Norwich man wanted by police
- 10 Fresh plans for rooftop bar on St Stephens