Post office looks likely to stay on the same street after campaign
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
Community campaigners appear to have won a battle to keep a post office branch in their area after plans for a new-style branch two doors down from the current one were unveiled.
Controversy erupted after the existing sub-postmaster of the Vauxhall Street branch in Norwich said he did not want to continue running it, and Post Office Ltd favoured an application to move it to Hurn Chemist in Unthank Road, rather than Vauxhall Street Pharmacy, two doors down.
Hundreds of people signed a petition against the move, which many said would make it harder for less-mobile people to use the service.
Now Post Office Ltd has said it proposes to move the branch to Vauxhall Street Pharmacy, with 'a new-style branch with significantly extended opening hours for customers'.
Simon Wright MP said: 'I think it's a really positive step forward which will put the long-term future of the post office in the area in place and I think that's really important because in this part of Norwich there are a lot of older people and people with mobility problems for whom travelling much further than they currently do is not viable.
You may also want to watch:
'The consultation which ran last year generated an enormous response and I received a lot of letters.
'People were very concerned about losing their local branch and the show of support for having a post office in Vauxhall Street was shown.'
- 1 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 2 Bookshop to close with clothing store set to move in
- 3 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 4 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 5 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 6 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 7 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 8 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 9 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 10 Part of A47 closed due to crash
Post Office Ltd said it would include a car-tax renewal service, as well as an external ATM.
Post Office regional network manager – south, Will Russell, said: 'We understand how important having a post office is to residents in this area of Norwich and we are confident the new branch will meet the needs of the local community and secure services for the future.'
A consultation on the plans will close on May 12. Write to: Post Office Ltd, Freepost Your Comments, Post Office Ltd; email firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 08457 223344; or textphone 08457 22 33 55.
Is this the right location? Email email@example.com