Neighbours celebrate Norfolk Day bar win with street party
- Credit: Neil Didsbury
Festivities bringing together more than 50 neighbours for a street party have had an added boost after a Norwich man won a bar.
Steve Carey, of Portersfield Road, entered our Norfolk Day bar competition after being involved with setting up his road's WhatsApp chat. Plans for an original street party was delayed due to the pandemic.
The WhatsApp group was set up in early January 2021 and was used mainly as support to all friends and neighbours in the community during the Covid crisis.
After being announced as the winner this week, Mr Carey said the bar, provided by Moon Gazer, from the Norfolk Brewhouse, was a hit.
He estimated between 50 and 75 people popped along to the event to enjoy food, music, games and conversation.
The 64-year-old, who has lived on the road with wife Rosie since 1987, said: "Everyone has been talking. It's been good to put the face next to the name.
You may also want to watch:
"We had put it off because of Covid restrictions and by coincidence the day we picked tied up with Norfolk Day.
"There are lots of different people, we have students, people working in the NHS, teachers, there is lots of variety of professions that make up Portersfield Road.
- 1 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 2 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 3 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 4 Bookshop to close with clothing store set to move in
- 5 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 6 Terror for tenants as yobs smash their way into flats
- 7 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 8 Windows left with cracks after mystery bang heard in Norwich
- 9 Public consultation launched over proposed 1,600 home development
- 10 What are your memories of Castle Quarter?
"I love Norfolk, I have been living here all my life, there are lots of things to see, it's friendly and there are lots of things to do.
"Lots of people have set up chairs and tables close to the bar."
Norfolk Day, which takes places every year on July 27, is a celebration of all things to do with our county. If you're hosting an event, send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org