Police raid six Norwich brothels
Ben KendallSix people have been arrested after raids on brothels across Norwich as part of a week-long police operation.Four of those arrested are from Thailand and will be deported next week.Ben Kendall
Six people have been arrested after raids on brothels across Norwich as part of a week-long police operation.
Four of those arrested are from Thailand and will be deported next week. Investigations into the remaining two suspects, who are from China, are continuing.
Officers raided six properties in Wingfield Road, Lower Clarence Road, Blue Boar Lane, Thorpe Road, Rosary Road and Scott Road throughout last week. Immigration, housing and benefits officials teamed up with police from Norfolk and Suffolk for the raids.
Det Sgt Stuart Bailey from Norfolk police said: 'We brought the agencies together for this proactive intelligence led operation which demonstrates Norfolk's commitment to enhancing the quality of life for everyone in the county.
You may also want to watch:
'By working in partnership with so may different agencies we have been able to reduce the anti social behaviour that such illegal businesses bring into the community, sending a clear message to those that set them up that they will not be tolerated in Norfolk
'It also provides reassurance to local residents who had been affected by the anti-social behaviour caused by the flow of customers to and from premises throughout the day and night, as well as resolving the associated parking issues.'
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 4 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 5 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 6 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 7 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 8 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 9 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 10 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
A 49-year-old man from China and a 41-year-old woman from China were found at the property in Wingfield Road. The woman was a failed asylum seeker and the man had entered the UK illegally.
Two offenders, a 31-year-old Thai woman and a 32-year-old Thai woman, were arrested in Lower Clarence Road. Both had entered the UK illegally.
Two offenders, a 32-year-old Thai woman and a 47-year-old Thai man, were arrested at a property in Blue Boar Lane. The woman had entered the UK illegally and the man had used false documents to obtain a visa.
Inspector Colin Daulby, of the UK Border Agency's Norfolk immigration team, said: 'By closing down the brothels and detaining six people who had no right to be in the UK this operation provides a clear demonstration of the positive impact that effective partnership working can have on communities.
'It sends the clear message that we will not tolerate immigration abuse and will seek to remove anyone who breaks the rules.'