Pioneer speed cameras for Norfolk road
Tracey GrayNew speed cameras - the first of their type in the country - have been set up on a busy stretch of Norfolk road as part of a wider project aimed at reducing accidents on rural roads.Tracey Gray
New speed cameras have been set up on a busy stretch of Norfolk road as part of a wider project aimed at reducing accidents on rural roads.
Seven camera stands which measure average speed, have been placed along the A149 between Potter Heigham and the junction with the A1151 at Cats Common near Wayford, which has a speed limit varying between 50mph and 60mph.
The stands, which have cameras facing both ways, should be active by the end of this month.
They are part of the Government's Rural Road Safety Demonstration Project where four councils, Norfolk, Devon, Lincolnshire, and Northamptonshire, have been asked to pilot new rural road safety initiatives on behalf of the Department for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the cameras, the project, which in Norfolk is funded with �1.5m from the Department for Transport, also requires local authorities to look at and report on key problems facing drivers on rural roads.
The cameras and other road safety initiatives Norfolk county council is undertaking as part of the project, will be unveiled on April 23, with more information about why the cameras are so innovative and how they work.
- 1 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 2 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
- 3 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 4 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 9 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 10 Have your say on plans for new nature reserve on edge of Norwich