Pioneer speed cameras for Norfolk road
Tracey GrayNew speed cameras - the first of their type in the country - have been set up on a busy stretch of Norfolk road as part of a wider project aimed at reducing accidents on rural roads.Tracey Gray
New speed cameras have been set up on a busy stretch of Norfolk road as part of a wider project aimed at reducing accidents on rural roads.
Seven camera stands which measure average speed, have been placed along the A149 between Potter Heigham and the junction with the A1151 at Cats Common near Wayford, which has a speed limit varying between 50mph and 60mph.
The stands, which have cameras facing both ways, should be active by the end of this month.
They are part of the Government's Rural Road Safety Demonstration Project where four councils, Norfolk, Devon, Lincolnshire, and Northamptonshire, have been asked to pilot new rural road safety initiatives on behalf of the Department for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the cameras, the project, which in Norfolk is funded with �1.5m from the Department for Transport, also requires local authorities to look at and report on key problems facing drivers on rural roads.
The cameras and other road safety initiatives Norfolk county council is undertaking as part of the project, will be unveiled on April 23, with more information about why the cameras are so innovative and how they work.
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 3 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 4 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 5 Teenagers set to be sentenced over stabbing
- 6 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 7 Grill van serving gourmet burgers and hot dogs gets residency at city pub
- 8 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 Police investigating ABH after fight off Prince of Wales Road