Pints, puns and putdowns as Norwich’s Unthank Arms hosts comedy festival
- Credit: Archant
The mic awaits top comedy circuit stalwarts, music comedians and upcoming new stand-up talent at the Unthank Comedy Festival that will bring laughter to the Norwich pub.
Many pubs boast quick witted patrons ready with a one-liner or put down — but once a year The Unthank Arms in Norwich hosts a different class of barroom banter.
The well-known Golden Triangle pub is hosting its eleventh comedy festival from July 11-13, a three day event that has grown from strength to strength and attracts some top comedians. Held in a spacious marquee in the pub garden the festival has grown into a popular annual event with both local residents and comedy lovers from all across the region.
Over the years it has welcomed some acclaimed comedy talent to its intimate stage — some well known faces from the comedy circuit. That mix is reflected again in this year's line-up.
Landlord Nick De'Ath said: 'This year's event sees yet another fantastic line up including Mike Gunn, Mitch Benn and Iszi Lawrence. The Festival has now been brining smiles to The Golden Triangle for 13 years and offers the perfect combination of great comedy in an outdoor environment.
You may also want to watch:
'We also want the comedy festival to be great value for money so there's a special treat with every ticket too — a 'buy one get one free' voucher giving you a free lunch or dinner anytime between now and the end of November.'
The festival kicks-off on July 11 by welcoming former solicitor, turned stand-up comic Keith Farnan who has performed at some of the best comedy clubs in the world, including the Comedy Store in London and written and performed his own comedy, The Insomniac Club, on Radio 4.
- 1 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 2 Ex-filling station set to become kebab and pizza takeaway
- 3 Three teens arrested in connection with Norwich stabbing
- 4 Golden Triangle cocktail bar announces closure after 'troubling time'
- 5 Locals split as 'terrifying' 60-year-old chestnut tree is felled
- 6 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 7 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 8 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 9 National tool firm opens third Norwich store
- 10 Police appeal after road in Sprowston is hit with two fires in one night
Bon-viveur, and easily the greatest UK-based French comedian around Marcel Lucont will be bringing his dry wit, bawdy chansons and exquisite sex poetry, while Jeremy O'Donnell will be mixing sharp one-liners with friendly story telling and sparkling off the cuff wit.
July 12 will feature a set from Mike Gunn who claims a misspent youth and a series of grim jobs has cultivated his cynical outlook on life and a perverse desire led him to the world of stand-up, while Danny Posthill, who has been making people laugh since the age of 16 after being talked into doing impressions at his school talent show, will be channelling the likes Jimmy Carr, Billy Connolly, Lee Evans plus many more.
They will be joined by Iszi Lawrence who has previously supported everyone from Stewart Lee to Sarah Millican, Rufus Hound, Simon Munnery, Richard Herring, Jo Caulfield and Jon Richardson.
Then on July 13 Scottish comedian Alan Francis, who first came to the notice of comedy audiences when he won Channel 4's So You Think You're Funny Award, will be at the mic, along with Matthew Bayliss and his own unique brand of unashamedly middle class comedy, sharing stories of growing up and getting old in the leafy suburbs of middle England.
Rounding things off will be Mitch Benn the bard of Radio 4's famous The Now Show and self-acclaimed 57th Beatle, who will be performing another hilarious musical set.
Tickets can be booked via the UEA Ticket Office or direct from The Unthank and The William and Florence.
• Unthank Arms Comedy Festival takes place at the Unthank Arms, Newmarket Street, Norwich, from July 11-13, tickets £13.50 per night, 01603 508050, unthankarms.ticketabc.com/listings/