Picture gallery: Norwich soldiers prepare for tour in Afghanistan
Two soldiers from the Norwich area are preparing for their first tours of duty in Afghanistan.
The Norfolk-based soldiers have been training near Thetford ahead of a possible return to Afghanistan later in the year.
Troops with the Light Dragoons have been preparing for deployment with an intensive series of exercises designed to hone the vital skills they will need to survive on the ground. The Dragoons' B Squadron has been training for a potential tour of duty since September and spent the week at the Army's Stanford Training Area (Stanta) before heading to Wales for live fire training. Among the soldiers was 20-year-old trooper James Avis, from Thorpe St Andrew, pictured below left, who joined up almost immediately on leaving school. 'I definitely feel ready to go out to Afghanistan, that's what I joined up to do,' he said.
Trooper Luke Hubbard, 22, from Heartsease, pictured below right, is also preparing to for his first deployment to Afghanistan. He joined the Army a year after leaving Heartsease High School and said he had always wanted to go out there. 'I'll miss my family and friends the most,' he added.
B Squadron is currently working as the Brigade Reconnaissance Force (BRF) and will be the Army's 'eye and ears' in Afghanistan. The Light Dragoons were deployed to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban in 2006, 2007 and 2009, assisting with the creation and training of the Afghan army.
You may also want to watch:
The 1st Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment, is expecting a ministerial announcement soon about a potential deployment which could throw them back into the ongoing conflict within months.
Are you a serviceman or woman with a story to tell? Call newsdesk on 07501 481521 or email email@example.com
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 4 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 5 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 6 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Man and woman found dead in home
- 9 See artist's fascinating pictures of Norwich's Castle Mall construction
- 10 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
To see pictures of the Light Dragoons in training visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk