Picture Gallery: Norwich ice hockey team show off their skills
Ice skating enthusiasts in Norwich have seen the ice rink go from strength to strength over the past year and now a local ice hockey team are hoping to make their mark in the city.
Norwich Norsemen Ice Hockey Team have reformed and are looking for new members and sponsorship to promote awareness of the sport and to become a serious competitor in UK ice hockey.
Team spokesman Matt Ballard said: 'It feels excellent to be back. Having Planet Ice behind us feels a bit more secure. It's a professional operation and because they support ice hockey in the UK and Europe that helps us as a recreational team.
'Hopefully we'll be here for a lot of years.'
The rink, based off Drayton High Road, reopened under the Arena group in October 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Co-coach Liam Maguire said: 'We want to get the word out that we are here, the rink is here, and there's a team in Norwich.
'We are like a family and we spend a lot of time together off the rink as well. Ice hockey is getting bigger in the UK especially with more coverage on television.'
- 1 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 5 Fears planning shake-up will threaten Norwich city centre
- 6 Man seriously injured after crash
- 7 New 66-bed care home with cinema planned near NDR
- 8 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 9 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 10 Plans to demolish historic pub approved just days after suspected arson attack
Mr Ballard also wanted to make people aware of the benefits of the sport and said: 'It's a serious workout and it's also great fun. It certainly challenges you.'
Norwich Norsemen Ice Hockey Team train every Tuesday night at Planet Ice and welcome people to come and watch if they are interested in playing. For more details contact club secretary Karen Larkin on email@example.com or call 07785 273079 or visit norwichnorsemen.co.uk.
Check out the picture gallery of the team in training at www.eveningnews24.co.uk
Are you part of a local sports team and are planning an event? Contact reporter Donna-Louise Bishop on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 772438.
Above: The Norsemen Ice Hockey team at Planet Ice. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY