Picture Gallery: Norwich ice hockey team show off their skills
Ice skating enthusiasts in Norwich have seen the ice rink go from strength to strength over the past year and now a local ice hockey team are hoping to make their mark in the city.
Norwich Norsemen Ice Hockey Team have reformed and are looking for new members and sponsorship to promote awareness of the sport and to become a serious competitor in UK ice hockey.
Team spokesman Matt Ballard said: 'It feels excellent to be back. Having Planet Ice behind us feels a bit more secure. It's a professional operation and because they support ice hockey in the UK and Europe that helps us as a recreational team.
'Hopefully we'll be here for a lot of years.'
The rink, based off Drayton High Road, reopened under the Arena group in October 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Co-coach Liam Maguire said: 'We want to get the word out that we are here, the rink is here, and there's a team in Norwich.
'We are like a family and we spend a lot of time together off the rink as well. Ice hockey is getting bigger in the UK especially with more coverage on television.'
- 1 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 2 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 4 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 7 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 8 Probe into woman's death continues following suspected arson
- 9 Hunt for silver VW Golf after man seriously injured in hit-and-run
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
Mr Ballard also wanted to make people aware of the benefits of the sport and said: 'It's a serious workout and it's also great fun. It certainly challenges you.'
Norwich Norsemen Ice Hockey Team train every Tuesday night at Planet Ice and welcome people to come and watch if they are interested in playing. For more details contact club secretary Karen Larkin on email@example.com or call 07785 273079 or visit norwichnorsemen.co.uk.
Check out the picture gallery of the team in training at www.eveningnews24.co.uk
Are you part of a local sports team and are planning an event? Contact reporter Donna-Louise Bishop on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 772438.
Above: The Norsemen Ice Hockey team at Planet Ice. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY