Picture gallery: Fashion show at Norwich University College of the Arts
Fashion students prove that Norwich is top when it comes to innovative fashion design at the college's first fashion show last night
Fashion degree students from Norwich University College of the Arts (NUCA) proved that Norwich has a wealth of up and coming fashion designers last night at the first NUCA fashion show.
The catwalk show was held at the college's Duke Street building and displayed the work of 28 first year fashion degree students.
Two different collections were on show – a colour range, which was influenced by this season's high street trend for block colour, and an upcycling collection made from deconstructed unwanted clothes from the charity Cancer Research UK. All of the clothes had been designed, pattern cut and stitched by the students.
Among the designs on the runway was a chiffon pink and cream dress from student designer Chana Watson. The dress was inspired by the complexities of a jellyfish seen in both the colours and the movement of the dress as it came down the catwalk. Another highlight was a dress made from secondhand men's shirts.
The show was organised by course leader Sue Chowles who has worked in London and Brighton, and was supported by John Lewis Norwich, The Gallery Haircutters and makeup brand MAC in Jarrolds.
Sue Chowles said: 'The aim of the fashion degree is to teach the craftsmanship behind fashion as the skills required in pattern cutting and stitching are paramount to good fashion design.
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 3 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 4 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 5 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 6 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 7 Controversial work to weld bridge shut cancelled after legal row
- 8 Do you own one of these toys which are selling for £1,000?
- 9 New Japanese bar and restaurant plans to open in Norwich next month
- 10 One-bed maisonette is up for sale in one of the coolest parts of Norwich
'I have never contemplated hosting a fashion show of first year students' work in the past, but credit must go to the quality of work already being displayed by the students, some of who have no previous fashion design experience.'
John Lewis Norwich operations manager Lesley George has been involved with the NUCA fashion degree show since the course launched last September.
Ms George said: 'John Lewis Norwich is proud to be sponsoring the fashion show. It's fantastic that the fashion course is now available in Norwich. The city is now a top fashion shopping destination and it's great to add the fashion course to the mix; these students could be the next top fashion designers of the future.'
Charity shop Cancer Research UK on London Street will be showcasing the students' upcycling collection in its shop window later this week.
See a picture gallery from the fashion show online at www.eveningnews24.co.uk
For the latest entertainment news read the Going Out section in Friday's Evening News or visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/ goingout.