PICTURE GALLERY: Cocoon launches at Norwich Fashion Week
The much anticipated fashion launch from students from City College Norwich was unveiled at The Designers Show at Norwich Fashion Week.
A PVC dress with gold robotic embellishments on the bust led out the first set from new Norwich fashion label Cocoon at The Designers Show.
Quickly followed by a 50s inspired black and red prom dress, a 60s inspired brown shift dress with black cog print detail, a white and metallic dress with tulip shaped skirt and a black playsuit with gold collar worn which was worn back to front, it was clear that the first collection from the new label is fashion-forward and experimental.
It is hard to believe that these designs were created and made by fashion and textile students from City College Norwich. Many have just left school and this is their first attempt at fashion design.
Students from City College set up the label as a business at the beginning of the year. The business is a co-operative which will see future fashion and textile students design the fashion collections of tomorrow.
The first set was soon followed by the second set from the collection. This time led out by a tailored brown waistcoat worn with leggings and followed by innovative designs which included a Lady Gaga-esque teal mini dress with pointed shoulder pads.
Creativity and technique oozed through all the pieces in the eclectic collection. And when we were sufficiently satisfied with the imaginative fashions on display, the collection hit us again with a third inspirational fashion dart.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station thrown out
- 2 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 3 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 4 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 5 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 6 Superhero City fan vows 'months of abuse' will not stop him
- 7 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 8 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 9 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 10 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
The final set included a Mod inspired white, red and blue shift dress, a blouse with an intricate gold collar, a corset with this season's cut out detail and a jacket embellished with plastic toy soldiers and bullet wounds in the back.
The first collection is inspired by mechanisms and machinery, a concept some of the young designers took literally with cog prints, robotic detailing and metallics. Others designs were more off the beaten track with strong silhouettes, ruching, and machinery inspired prints and embellishments on wearable fashion.
All in all the first collection by new Norwich fashion house Cocoon was a success. All eyes are now waiting in anticipation for the young designers next collection.
See the pictures from the launch of the Cocoon collection by clicking on the photo gallery link at the top right of this page.
You can also see the pictures from The Designers Show at Norwich Fashion Week by clicking on The Designers Show story - also at the top right of this page.