Peter Pan among Norwich Theatre Royal’s most successful pantomimes
- Credit: Norwich Theatre Royal
Norwich Theatre Royal's latest pantomime has been a big success - oh yes it has!
The city venue has said the festive production of Peter Pan was one of the most financially successful pantomimes in the theatre's history. A total of 60,996 tickets were sold for Peter Pan, beating the previous year's sales of 60,063 for Cinderella.
Peter Wilson, Norwich Theatre Royal chief executive, said it was a great boost.
He said: 'Though we present a year-round programme of practically every available live theatre form, the pantomime is the one we love most – because we produce it ourselves – and the one that means the most in terms of the financial viability of the Theatre Royal. So the success of Peter Pan has been a real boost to us.'
The pantomime cast was headed by former Coronation Street star Kevin Kennedy who played Captain Hook, and he was joined on stage by CBeebies presenter Sid Sloane as Aunt Delilah, Theatre Royal panto stalwart Richard Gauntlett who played the pirate Smee and wrote and directed the show, and Cromer Pier favourite Ben Langley who played the pirate Starkey.
You may also want to watch:
During the pantomime's month-long run audience members bought a massive 21,976 tubs of ice-cream, as well as 4,518 programmes, 6,705 pieces of merchandise, and 5,640 packets of sweets.
The show's charity bucket collections raised more than £14,000. The show was in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity and the organisation will benefit from the ticket sales.
- 1 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 2 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 3 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 6 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 7 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 8 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 9 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 10 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
The financial surplus generated by Peter Pan ticket sales will be ploughed back into the Theatre Royal and its work as an educational charity.
Meanwhile tickets are already selling well for the theatre's 2015-16 pantomime which will be Snow White.
Nearly 13,000 tickets have already been booked for the production which opens on December 15 2015 and runs until January 17 2016. Tickets £7-£21.50. For more information and to book tickets, visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 630000.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com