Opening performance of Miss Saigon in Norwich interrupted after person is taken ill
- Credit: Archant
The opening performance of Miss Saigon at the Norwich Theatre Royal had to be stopped last night after a member of the audience was taken ill.
It was the first of 28 performances of Cameron Mackintosh's acclaimed production at the city theatre which is currently on a major UK tour.
In a statement John Bultitude, Norwich Theatre Royal communications manager, said: 'A person was taken ill during last night's (August 15) performance of Miss Saigon.
'They were assessed by our trained first-aiders who took the decision to stop the performance for around 10 minutes to attend to them.
'After medical advice, they were helped from the auditorium. The East of England Ambulance Service attended and checked over them, and they were assessed as well enough to go home.'
You may also want to watch:
One member of the audience told us the incident was 'well handled' and the cast got a round of applause as the performance got back underway.
The show, which has a company of 60 and runs until September 15 in Norwich, tells the story of 17-year-old Kim who is forced to work in a Saigon bar run by a notorious character known as the Engineer during the last days of the Vietnam War.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 'They don't add up' - Mixed reaction to city development plans
There she meets and falls in love with an American GI named Chris but they are torn apart by the fall of Saigon. For three years Kim goes on an epic journey of survival to find her way back to Chris, who has no idea he's fathered a son.