People urged to take a Norwich starlight walk and help cancer charity
People are being urged to step out on a special midnight walk to help provide vital support for people affected by cancer.
Now in its sixth year, the 13 mile Starlight Walk in Norwich has so far raised more than �270,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support which aims to reach and improve the lives of everyone affected by cancer.
This year's walk will start at midnight on Friday, June 24 and organisers hope to see 1,000 people taking part - last year 710 people completed the walk and raised �68,000.
The fundraiser, which is sponsored by the Evening News and the Norwich shopping centre Chapelfield, starts and finishes at the Sportspark in Norwich and follows the outer ring road.
It is organised by the Sportspark and was the idea of Jane Rumball, the Sportspark's administration manager.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'The Starlight Walk is unique because the whole amount raised, including entrance fee and sponsorship money, goes straight to Macmillan and isn't spent on things like free goody bags.
'We are a no frills, no fuss event and aim to have fun whilst raising money for a good cause.'
- 1 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 2 Greek chain looks set to take over former Giraffe restaurant
- 3 New pasta and cocktail bar to open in Norwich
- 4 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 5 Norwich restaurants and pubs reopening in April
- 6 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 7 £153m Western Link road delayed a third time
- 8 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 9 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 10 Cardiac arrest call sparks rescue operation near beauty spot
Luke Wheeler, one of Macmillan's fundraising managers for Norfolk, said: 'The Starlight Walk is an amazing event and is one of the big things that happens in Norfolk for Macmillan.
'It is a major event for us and one that continues to get bigger and bigger.
'It is a good opportunity to get together, do something a little bit different, and help a really good cause.
'Everything that Macmillan does is only possible because of the money people people raise for the charity.'
Sheridan Smith, marketing manager at Chapelfield, said: 'The Starlight Walk is a true highlight in the city's fundraising calendar. It is an event that people from all walks of life really look forward to, get genuine satisfaction from taking part in, and has achieved fantastic results over the years. This year we will strive to help raise even more money, for Macmillan Cancer Support, for the direct benefit of people all over the county.'
Macmillan aims to help cancer patients and their families through the charity's health and social care professionals, by providing financial support to people in need, and by and offering information services.
• The Starlight Walk is open to everybody aged 16 and over.
It costs �25 to register for the walk. Application forms can be collected from the Sportspark reception or downloaded from the Starlight Walk website, www.starlightwalknorwich.co.uk
• As well as walkers, volunteers are also needed to act as road marshals, to help meet and great, and to help set up the event.
Anybody who would like to volunteer should contact Jane Rumball on 01603 593779, email email@example.com, or download an application form from www.starlightwalknorwich.co.uk
• Are you taking part in the Starlight Walk? Tell us why by calling reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org