Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark to headline Let’s Rock Norwich!
- Credit: Submitted
OMD confirmed to appear at the retro festival in Earlham Park on a bill that also includes fellow snyth-pop legends The Human League, ABC, Nick Heyward and Heaven 17.
Pioneering 1980s synth-pop duo Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark will headline retro music festival Let's Rock Norwich!
Formed on the Wirral in Merseyside, OMD pioneered the electronic music genre in the early 80s combining massive chart success with experimentation on albums such as Organisation, Architecture and Morality and Dazzle Ships.
Hits such as Enola Gay, Maid of Orleans and Souvenir propelled them into the stratosphere and helped shape the musical landscape of the eighties.
The band, fronted by co-founders vocalist and bassist Andy McCluskey and keyboardist Paul Humphreys, have now been confirmed as the missing festival headliners on a bill that already includes fellow snyth-pop legends The Human League, ABC, Nick Heyward and Heaven 17.
You may also want to watch:
The Let's Rock! tour was held in Norwich for the first time earlier this year. The festival at Earlham Park drew a sell-out crowd to see a line-up that included Bananarama, Tony Hadley, Kim Wilde and Howard Jones are among the stars. Its success means Let's Rock Norwich! The Retro Festival will again take place at Earlham Park next year on May 26.
Next year will be the tenth year of the Let's Rock retro music tour, which started small in the Berkshire village of Cookham attracting 900 people.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 4 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 5 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 6 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 7 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 8 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 'They don't add up' - Mixed reaction to city development plans
As well as Norwich the tour will travel across the country next year visiting places including Leeds, Southampton and Exeter.
Already confirmed to appear in Norwich are 80s chart-toppers Jason Donovan, The Real Thing, T'pau, Katrina, China Crisis, Toyah and Sonia. The festival will also include The Rerobates Party Live featuring Hazell Dean, Fuzzbox, Bow Wow Wow's Annabella, Brother Beyond, Peter Coyle Ex Lotus Eaters and Black Lace's Conga Party providing the cheesy party classics.
OMD re-united in 2007 and have been playing sold out concerts to critical and fan acclaim ever since. They have continued to make new albums such as History of Modern, English Electric and their most recent, Punishment of Luxury (their 13th studio album).
• Let's Rock Norwich! The Retro Festival takes place at Earlham Park on May 26. For more information and to book tickets visit letsrocknorwich.com