One of the city’s most popular real ale pubs changes hands
- Credit: Archant
One of Norwich's most popular real ale pubs has changed hands, but regulars need not worry, as the new owners plan to keep it pretty much the same.
Stephen George and wife Lesley have bought the King's Head in Magdalen Street from previous landlords and owners Jon Smith and Roland Coomber, who had been there for eight years.
Although Mr and Mrs George are half of the Humpty Dumpty Brewery partnership based at Reedham, he said they were looking to continue to run the King's Head pretty much as it is now, rather than turn it into a Humpty house, as it were.
He said: 'Jon and Roland had a vision and made the King's Head into a real ale drinker's haven. We're hoping to 'stand on the shoulders of giants' and carry on the real ale focus of the pub.
'There will be a few tweaks and changes as we look to put our personal touch into the place, but it's still going to be a cask-only house (no draught keg beers), and it's still going to feature primarily East Anglian microbreweries – we are spoiled for choice – though we might have one tap (of 14) featuring out-of-region ales.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Coomber and Mr Smith ran the Nelson pub in Nelson Street, Norwich, before taking on the King's Head, and Mr Coomber said it was time to move on. He said: 'We had been in the pub trade about 11 years. It's a successful pub and we have left it in safe hands.'
Both worked in the offshore industry before becoming publicans, and Mr Coomber said they would return to that line of work.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Comedian Rufus Hound on the hunt for hotel in Norwich
- 5 Drip, drip, hooray! City's bottled water crisis solved
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
- 8 'Music, food and motor cars': Festival set to return to Norwich
- 9 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 10 Man steals £250 guitar from charity shop
The King's Head, which dates back to the 18th century, won the Camra Norwich and Norfolk Pub of the Year competition in 2008.
The Evening News has been urging customers to return to pubs in our Love Your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign, visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal