Olympic star Colin Jackson helps Norwich pupils prepare for fun run
Pupils from nine schools across Norwich got warmed up for this year's Tesco Great School Run with help from former Great Britain world and Olympic champion hurdler Colin Jackson.
More than 800 young runners and parents from the schools completed a training run and talked about healthy eating with the Welshman, who now works as an athletics pundit for the BBC, at Eaton Park in Norwich.
The schools taking part were; Clare School, Bluebell Primary, Colman Junior, Recreation Road Infant, Avenue Junior, West Earlham Junior, Eaton Primary, Loddon Junior and Thurlton Primary.
The warm up event is aimed at preparing the children for taking part in the UK's biggest fun run, which will involve more than 1m children between May 9 and July 22.
Three-time world record holder Mr Jackson said: 'The day is all about getting the children engaged in exercise, talking about healthy eating and warming them up ahead of this year's event.
You may also want to watch:
'The Tesco Great School Run is a great way to get children active. It's fantastic to be involved and to see so many children from the area getting so excited ahead of the run.'
Now in its seventh year, the event, organised by those behind the iconic Great North Run, Tesco and the Norwich School Sport Partnership, encourages children and their parents to get fit and healthy through exercise and healthy eating. Lucy Edwards, assistant head teacher at West Earlham Junior School, added: 'The warm up session has really captured the children's imagination – highlighting the importance of exercise and healthy eating and also ensuring they are raring to go ahead of their own school events.'
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 'People are fed up with roasts': Chef ditches Sunday dinner takeaways
- 5 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 6 Covid team to knock on Norwich doors to get people to self-isolate
- 7 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 8 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 9 Sex offender used secret Twitter account to post indecent material
- 10 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
Schools that complete the Tesco Great School Run will be entered into a prize draw with a chance to win sports equipment and kit or VIP Great North Run and Junior Great Run experiences.
Log on to www.greatschoolrun.org for more information.
Are you organising a big event in Norwich? Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org