Olympic rower heads to Norwich
Kate ScotterAn Olympic rower will be heading to Norwich next week to help promote water sports on the outskirts of the city.Kate Scotter
An Olympic rower will be heading to Norwich next week to help promote water sports on the outskirts of the city.
The 'Enjoying Water' strategy for the East of England is being launched on Wednesday, March 24 at the Whitlingham Outdoor Education Centre, near Trowse.
The strategy outlines key ways the eastern region can increase opportunities for water-based activities and get more people involved in enjoying water and related sports.
Former Olympian Stephen Turner, who competed at the Seoul and Barcelona Games, will be at the launch and will take to the water with a group of youngsters.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'For me there is nothing better than being on the water. It creates a sense of freedom and fun, is totally accessible to all ages and capabilities, with people able to engage in competition or just for recreation.
'This project has the potential to open up the opportunity to a much wider audience and I would encourage everybody to come and have a go. I did and who knows, we might find the next Olympic champion.'
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 3 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 4 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 5 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 7 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 10 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school