Old Catton Guide group to celebrate 85th anniversary
Members past and present of an Old Catton Guide group are being encouraged to join in with a special celebration.
The 1st Old Catton Guides is celebrating its 85th anniversary this year and holding a 'Celebration Get Together' to mark the occasion.
Hundreds of girls will have been part of the group over the decades and it is hoped as many of them as possible will get involved with the anniversary event at Old Catton's Village Hall, in Church Street, on Friday, September 21.
Rosemary Shimmens, who is organising the event, joined the group in 1949 as a Girl Guide and she is now a member of the Old Catton Trefoil Guild.
She said: 'I know we have some Guides from the 1930s coming to the event, and it would be lovely to see people from all through the ages of 1st Old Catton Guides.
You may also want to watch:
'The present Guides will do some entertainment and we will have some refreshments, and I suspect most people will want to spend a lot of time chatting.
'We have got the history of the 1st Old Catton Guides for people to look at too.'
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 3 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 6 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 7 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 8 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
- 9 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 10 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
Pictured are three photos taken at the village hall from different times in the group's history – 1952, which was the group's 25 anniversary, 1932, and 1928.
Rosemary said: 'Some of the Guides in the photographs are known to us – but not all. If you can help identify them, let us know, or indeed if you are one of them – then please come along, it should be a great night.'
The 1st Old Catton Guides anniversary celebration is taking place on Friday, September 21 at 7.30pm at Old Catton Village Hall. Anybody who like to attend should call Rosemary Shimmens on 01603 898750.
Are you holding an event to celebrate a landmark anniversary? Call reporter Rosa McMahon on 01603 772495 or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org