Old Catton Guide group to celebrate 85th anniversary
Members past and present of an Old Catton Guide group are being encouraged to join in with a special celebration.
The 1st Old Catton Guides is celebrating its 85th anniversary this year and holding a 'Celebration Get Together' to mark the occasion.
Hundreds of girls will have been part of the group over the decades and it is hoped as many of them as possible will get involved with the anniversary event at Old Catton's Village Hall, in Church Street, on Friday, September 21.
Rosemary Shimmens, who is organising the event, joined the group in 1949 as a Girl Guide and she is now a member of the Old Catton Trefoil Guild.
She said: 'I know we have some Guides from the 1930s coming to the event, and it would be lovely to see people from all through the ages of 1st Old Catton Guides.
'The present Guides will do some entertainment and we will have some refreshments, and I suspect most people will want to spend a lot of time chatting.
'We have got the history of the 1st Old Catton Guides for people to look at too.'
- 1 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 2 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 3 £3.1m roadworks on new bus lane and crossings could last for ONE YEAR
- 4 High-flyer at school to heroin addict - City homeless man reveals his story
- 5 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 Seven-bed Edwardian home with heated swimming pool for sale
- 8 Busy road to partially close for line repainting at end of new bus lane
- 9 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 10 Cockapoo Café coming to Norwich next month
Pictured are three photos taken at the village hall from different times in the group's history – 1952, which was the group's 25 anniversary, 1932, and 1928.
Rosemary said: 'Some of the Guides in the photographs are known to us – but not all. If you can help identify them, let us know, or indeed if you are one of them – then please come along, it should be a great night.'
The 1st Old Catton Guides anniversary celebration is taking place on Friday, September 21 at 7.30pm at Old Catton Village Hall. Anybody who like to attend should call Rosemary Shimmens on 01603 898750.
Are you holding an event to celebrate a landmark anniversary? Call reporter Rosa McMahon on 01603 772495 or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org