Octopus found on Norfolk beach
Richard BatsonA washed up octopus on a north Norfolk beach could be a sign of global warming - or just a quirk of the currents.The common octopus is normally found in the warmer waters off the south coast of England, but a diver recently discovered the battered remains of one at Salthouse.Richard Batson
A washed up octopus on a north Norfolk beach could be a sign of global warming - or just a quirk of the currents.
The common octopus is normally found in the warmer waters off the south coast of England, but a diver recently discovered the battered remains of one at Salthouse.
Helen Nott from the nature recording site NorfolkSeaquest said: 'I have occasionally found the native, smaller curled octopus washed up at Cley and Heacham, but this is a first for me.'
The larger common octopus could mature to a length of just over one metre, double the size of the curled one, and was identified by having two rows of suckers on each tentacle.
You may also want to watch:
The find at Salthouse, near Cromer, was confirmed by a marine biologist at Great Yarmouth Sealife Centre, where displays organiser Christine Pitcher said the discovery, along with finds of other warm water creatures such as sun fish and turtles around the East Anglian coast could be a sign of global warming - with animals going farther afield into new areas as seas changed temperature.
But they could also be the result of creatures being carried by currents - particularly as the octopus was a bit 'mangled' and could have been dead for a while.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 5 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 6 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 7 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Man seriously injured after crash
- 10 Fears planning shake-up will threaten Norwich city centre
See more beach finds at www.norfolkseaquest.co.uk