‘We weren’t ready to let him go’ - tributes after photographer dies from coronavirus
- Credit: Submitted
A Norwich press photographer who was one of the most respected on Fleet Street is among the latest victims of coronavirus.
Stuart Goodman, 72, began suffering symptoms of the virus after being admitted to hospital following a cancer diagnosis on March 18. He died at Norwich and Norfolk University Hospital on April 2.
Mr Goodman worked as a newspaper photographer and picture editor after first making his name with prize-winning pictures of the IRA Balcombe Street Siege in London in 1975.
Over the years he worked for titles as diverse as The Guardian, The Daily Mail and the Independent as a photographer and as picture editor of the Evening Standard.
MORE: Five more coronavirus deaths at Norfolk hospitalsAfter he left the Standard, the Goodman family moved to Norfolk where he studied for an MA in Photography at Norwich School of Art and taught A-level photography until his retirement in 2010.
He worked as a freelance photographer with many of his pictures of Norfolk life appearing in the EDP and Norwich Evening News. He also stood as a Labour candidate for Norwich City Council in 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Goodman’s daughter, Jo Goodman, 31, told the Evening Standard: “He wasn’t ready to leave us and we certainly weren’t ready to let him go, but compared with many families in this situation we were lucky that our local hospital allowed us to be with him and it was, despite the horrendousness of this awful virus, a peaceful passing.
“We know how many others are hurting and it’s another cruelty of this awful virus that we can’t be together in person to share in our grief right now.”
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 3 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 4 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 5 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 6 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 7 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 8 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
His wife Annie Henriques, 68, said: “He was a creative talent and the love of my life. I miss him already and it’s not even been a day.”
MORE: Queen offers message of hope during coronaviris lockdown in poignant television addressShortly before his cancer diagnosis Mr Goodman published his first book, a collection of photos of Broadway Market in Hackney.
Prior to moving to Norwich he had lived in the London borough and was instrumental in setting up the Broadway Market Action Group which successfully campaigned to save the area from developers’ bulldozers.
In 2012 Mr Goodman and his son Adam, also a photographer, held a joint exhibition in Norwich of pictures of 30 residents of Ealham House who had been issued with eviction notices so that the building could be renovated.
- See more of Stuart Goodman’s photographs at stuartgoodman.co.uk/gallery/- For updates on how coronavirus is affecting Norfolk, please visit our Facebook page here- Subscribe to our daily coronavirus newsletter, with all the latest from where you live