‘Sadly not my decision’ - Theatre Royal panto favourite will not return in 2019
- Credit: Simon Finlay Photography
Comedian and Britain's Got Talent star Ben Langley says he will soon leave his Norwich panto days behind him after being told he won't be in the 2019 cast.
The Theatre Royal panto stalwart, who lives in Shimpling near Diss, was told by the producer that the show is going in a 'new direction' for the next production of Cinderella.
Ben, who is currently starring as Wishee Washee in Aladdin, felt obliged to reveal the news on Twitter after a fan tweeted him saying they had already booked tickets to see him in Cinderella.
The news has not been confirmed by Theatre Royal staff and a spokesman said that they would not be making any casting announcements 'until later in January'.
But Ben said: 'I learned properly about three weeks ago I wasn't to be appearing in next year's pantomime - this was a great shock to me but I totally accept their decision.
You may also want to watch:
'It is very sad to me, knowing I won't be allowed to continue to entertain the lush people of Norfolk.
'The Theatre Royal is a wonderful place to work and they are choosing to go in a different direction with Cinderella and I'm sure it will be a great show without me.'
READ MORE: Seven cheap and free things to do in Norfolk this week - from adult-only panto to classic car showReacting to the news, Sarah Sickle tweeted: 'Had a fabulous time at Theatre Royal watching the best panto with Dicky Gauntlett and Ben Langley, devastated to learn Ben Langley will be leaving, what a travesty!'
- 1 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 2 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 3 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Teenagers set to be sentenced over stabbing
- 5 Grill van serving gourmet burgers and hot dogs gets residency at city pub
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 Virtual reality centre opens in Norwich with huge choice of games
- 8 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
Ben has appeared in the Norwich Theatre Royal pantomime for the past five years as the comedy character.
Ben added: 'I live down the road and have a young family and it has been a great benefit as I've been able to do the school run so life will change.'
READ MORE: Norwich's 'best' pizza restaurant launches city delivery serviceHe has worked extensively in theatre including Charlie Chaplin in Franco Zefirelli's Il Pagliacci at The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden and Toby Jones in hit BBC4 comedy Detectorists.
He also starred in the 2018 series of Britain's Got Talent and received a standing ovation from the judges as he poked fun of misheard song lyrics.