Norwich student awarded prestigious army scholarship
A talented Norwich School student has become one of only 48 young people in the UK to be awarded a prestigious army scholarship.
Sixteen-year-old James Applegate from Hemblington, near Acle, has been told by letter that he will receive a coveted Army Sixth Form Scholarship – an award more than 800 young people apply for each year.
The scholarship recognises students of high academic ability who display good leadership potential. It is awarded on merit, irrespective of background.
'I've been interested in joining the army for more than two years and was invited to apply for the scholarship by an army careers advisor who visited my school,' said James.
He completed an application form with his predicted GCSE results, interests, sporting involvement and career aspirations, and was then invited to a formal interview before a national scrutiny board considered the report with a reference from Norwich School.
You may also want to watch:
As a short-listed candidate, he attended the Army Officer Selection Board and spent three days during the October half-term at Westbury in Wiltshire, where he completed tasks testing his mental, physical and leadership aptitude under the watch of senior army officers.
'I was surprised to hear I'd been awarded the scholarship but I'm very pleased,' said James, who is studying A-levels in maths, physics, geography and classics at Norwich School, and hopes to study civil engineering at university before joining the Royal Engineers.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Dinosaur-themed food trail running in Norwich restaurants this summer