Norwich singer eyes national talent contest final
A Norwich singer-songwriter is within touching distance of playing at one of the country's biggest venues.
Kolin Durier, of Whitworth Court, Old Catton, is through to the regional final of a national talent competition, and if he is successful he will be given a chance to perform at the O2 in London.
The 35-year-old is taking part in Open Mic UK 2011, and after succeeding in an audition in Bedford, he is returning to the town for a regional final.
Mr Durier, who works for a finance company, only started performing solo this year but thought he'd enter the over 23s category of the competition which is searching for the country's top singer-songwriters, rappers and vocalists.
He said: 'I have never entered a talent competition before. I started gigging this year on my own material, and was looking for open mic nights when I saw this online.' He auditioned alongside about 600 other hopefuls and went up in front of a panel of judges to perform his song Replay.
He said: 'It is like X Factor, with groups of six lining up and going forward to perform a piece. I played guitar and sang my own song, while some were accompanied by backing track.
'We were told that if they stopped the audition they had heard enough. I got one minute through and they stopped me.'
- 1 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 2 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 3 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 4 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 5 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 6 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 7 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 8 Carriageway of A11 closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 10 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
The former Thorpe St Andrew high school student had impressed the judges and was put forward to the regional final on October 23. There he will perform in front of a large audience and professional judging panel, with the hope of qualifying for the chance to play at the O2 and compete for a recording contract.
This Thursday he will be performing at an open mic night at the Coach and Horses in Union Street, Norwich.
Are you competing in a national contest? Call 01603 772423 or email firstname.lastname@example.org