Norwich sees a trend in short shorts
Shorts have got shorter and they are quickly becoming the staple item for your summer wardrobe. Emma Harrowing picks some of the best from the city's shops and shows you how to wear shorts whatever your body shape.
Who's wearing short shorts? Seems a lot of you are as this summer shorts have reached an all time high with hems rising three centimetres from last year.
According to high street fashion retailer Peacocks, shorts measuring less than 10 centimetres from waist to hem currently account for 50pc of its overall shorts sales.
It's no secret as to where this trend has emerged from. The summer catwalks were awash with panty-skimming shorts and celebrities of all ages such as Miley Cyrus, Heather Mills and Gwyneth Paltrow have developed a daring for tiny hot pants.
Small shorts may be sassy to the girl who doesn't mind showing a bit of thigh, but for many of us who don't even want to show off our bare legs from the mid thigh down, short shorts can seem like a fashion no-no.
You may also want to watch:
But there are ways you can wear the new skimpy shorts if you want to wear this summer trend. Try wearing a pair of tan coloured tights underneath if you don't like the look of your legs as these will make your pins look flawless. To make your legs look slimmer wear black opaque tights underneath. If you are bigger on the bottom wear with a voluminous top or mini tunic dress which will balance out your hips and thighs and choose plain or dark denim shorts. If you are bigger on top wear with a scoop neck top and choose printed shorts or styles with detail on the pockets.
Of course you don't have to go really short and there are many tailored city styles that fall just above the knee which will give you summer's nautical/safari look.
- 1 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 2 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 3 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 4 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
- 5 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 6 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
- 7 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 8 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 9 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 10 'If you have a passion, run with it': Nursery boss opens third site
Shorts are also big news for autumn with velvet, denim, wool and leather making an appearance in many high street collections. Get a pair of shorts that suit you now, team them with a pair of thick tights, ankle boots or flat loafers and you will be ready for autumn.
Click on our photo gallery at the top right of this page to get more tips on how to wear this season's short shorts.