Norwich sees a trend in short shorts
Shorts have got shorter and they are quickly becoming the staple item for your summer wardrobe. Emma Harrowing picks some of the best from the city's shops and shows you how to wear shorts whatever your body shape.
Who's wearing short shorts? Seems a lot of you are as this summer shorts have reached an all time high with hems rising three centimetres from last year.
According to high street fashion retailer Peacocks, shorts measuring less than 10 centimetres from waist to hem currently account for 50pc of its overall shorts sales.
It's no secret as to where this trend has emerged from. The summer catwalks were awash with panty-skimming shorts and celebrities of all ages such as Miley Cyrus, Heather Mills and Gwyneth Paltrow have developed a daring for tiny hot pants.
Small shorts may be sassy to the girl who doesn't mind showing a bit of thigh, but for many of us who don't even want to show off our bare legs from the mid thigh down, short shorts can seem like a fashion no-no.
But there are ways you can wear the new skimpy shorts if you want to wear this summer trend. Try wearing a pair of tan coloured tights underneath if you don't like the look of your legs as these will make your pins look flawless. To make your legs look slimmer wear black opaque tights underneath. If you are bigger on the bottom wear with a voluminous top or mini tunic dress which will balance out your hips and thighs and choose plain or dark denim shorts. If you are bigger on top wear with a scoop neck top and choose printed shorts or styles with detail on the pockets.
Of course you don't have to go really short and there are many tailored city styles that fall just above the knee which will give you summer's nautical/safari look.
- 1 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 3 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 4 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 5 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 6 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 7 Everything you need to know ahead of the Great Norwich Duck Race
- 8 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 9 Thousands needed to restore historic Norwich village sign
- 10 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
Shorts are also big news for autumn with velvet, denim, wool and leather making an appearance in many high street collections. Get a pair of shorts that suit you now, team them with a pair of thick tights, ankle boots or flat loafers and you will be ready for autumn.
Click on our photo gallery at the top right of this page to get more tips on how to wear this season's short shorts.