Norwich school children take up business challenge
Hayley MaceSchoolchildren from Norwich are among the first to have registered for a challenge which will put their business skills to the test.Millionaire businessman and television presenter Peter Jones is going to lend �20,000 of his own money to young people as part of a competition to see how much money they can make from �10 in one month.Hayley Mace
Schoolchildren from Norwich are among the first to have registered for a challenge which will put their business skills to the test.
Millionaire businessman and television presenter Peter Jones is going to lend �20,000 of his own money to young people as part of a competition to see how much money they can make from �10 in one month.
Notre Dame High School in Norwich is one of the first to have signed up for the competition and assistant headteacher Kevin McNally said it was a success with last year's team.
He said: 'It was a real hit with last year's Year 8 students. It really fired up their imaginations and inspired them to think of ways of maximising their initial ten pounds. It's a truly innovative way to teach young people that it is possible to make money and in doing so make a difference to the local community. I'm really looking forward to seeing the ideas that our Year 8 students come up with this year.'
The competition is open to anyone under 19 and once the young people have their �10 note they have a month to come up with creative and enterprising ideas to make more money. All the loans have to be returned at the end of the competition, but participants can keep their profits to develop their business ideas or help a good cause.
Any schools and colleges wishing to take part have until February 11 to register their students by completing an application form at www.enterpriseuk.org/tenner.
- 1 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 2 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 3 Woman with incurable cancer left devastated after car and jewellery stolen
- 4 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 5 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
- 6 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 7 Homes plan for former Start-Rite shoe factory site rejected
- 8 Independent city store 'honoured' to be named UK's retailer of the year
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver