Norwich’s ‘stink pots’ mystery solved
Poles rather than polls have been occupying one city councillor's attention for more than two years.
Bert Bremner's detective trail began in North Earlham when he first gave some thought to the rusty poles rising up from the pavement.
Making inquiries at City Hall, he learned that they were venting columns, locally known as 'stink pots', designed to vent sewers and prevent vacuums developing.
However, despite endless email inquiries – and growing frustration at spotting more and more of the poles all over the city – it was only in the past weeks that he established Anglian Water was responsible for them.
An apologetic letter from a representative of the company, which inherited the columns when it took over from the council-run Norwich Water, confirmed its plans to remove some of the rusty ones. However, it confessed to not having a clue as to the number of them across the city.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bremner said: 'Perhaps Evening News readers could help by sending in their own stink pot pictures. I feel they could be painted properly and the moulded City Lion and Castle on the base picked out in colour.'
Sarah D'Arcy, of Anglian Water, said: 'These columns provide crucial aeration for the sewage network allowing gases to escape.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 4 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 5 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 6 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 7 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 8 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 9 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes
- 10 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
'If people have specific concerns we would encourage them to contact us.'
What do you think? Write to Evening News Letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.