Norwich’s ‘Naked Busker’ a hit at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
A Norwich man known as the 'Naked Busker' is wowing crowds at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival - while wearing just a pair of undies and hiking boots with his trusty guitar to hide his modesty.
Donnie Rust, from Attoe Walk, north city, started doing stand-up gigs and clubs in Norwich in 2008, but felt he needed a gimmick.
He asked his girlfriend at the time for something that would guarantee a response, and she told him: 'Take your clothes off; it always make me laugh.'
Since then the 27-year-old has travelled the country performing his act with just his faithful Yamaha six string acoustic guitar, his boots and undies.
He writes and performs his own music and stand-up routines and is performing in Edinburgh until Sunday, August 28.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'It's going really well in Edinburgh. The shows have been packed so far. I'm not a busker. It's more comedy and songs with an adult theme.
'I once did my act walking down Prince of Wales Road at about midnight, and that was in the winter. Loads of people wanted to have their pictures taken with me.
- 1 Police and SOS Bus see busy night as clubbing returns to city
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Bars and clubs see busy night as police up patrols
- 4 Neighbours celebrate Norfolk Day bar win with street party
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Where are the best rooftop bars in Norwich?
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
'I've done stand-up gigs in pubs and clubs in Norwich playing to a handful of people, but appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the next level. I'm getting better known.'
When he returns to Norwich he will be appearing as 'Donnie Rust and Friends' on the first Sunday of every month from September at the Hog in Armour pub in Charing Cross, Norwich, as well as preparing his own main event 'Hanging Out with Donnie Rust', to be performed at a special venue later in the year.
For more information about him visit firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or to see him in action go to http://www.youtube.com/user/donnierust.
Do you know someone in Norwich who is making a name for themselves in the world of showbiz? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.