Norwich’s Golden Gardens weekend raises thousands
Organisers say they plan to hold another Golden Gardens weekend in the future, after the popular event raised more than �14,000.
Gardens both large and small in the Golden Triangle area of Norwich were opened up to the public as part of the Campaign for Later Life in Norfolk, which aims to raise awareness of the work of Age UK Norfolk and Age UK Norwich.
Around 40 gardens were on show over the last weekend in June, as well as the Bluebell Road allotments, and so far more than �14,000 has been collected, with more money still coming in to the two charities.
All proceeds raised from the inaugural Golden Gardens weekend will go towards developing services for older people in Norfolk, including providing information, advice and befriending services.
Maddie Handsley, of Age UK Norfolk, said it was an event that the charities would be keen to hold again, and already they had been inundated with requests from people who would like to take part in future.
You may also want to watch:
However, because of the large scale of organisation required, it has not yet been decided if it will be held next year.
She said: 'Age UK Norfolk and Age UK Norwich would like to thank everyone who visited the gardens and involved for their very generous support and the garden owners and volunteers who gave hours of time and effort to make the weekend such a success.'
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 3 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 8 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 9 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 10 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
One garden owner reported having more than 1,200 visitors on the Sunday and 600 on the Saturday. Another had approximately 1,600 visitors over the weekend.
Has your fundraising event been a huge success? Contact reporter Kim Briscoe on 01603 772419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.