Norwich's Gentleman's Walk a top destination for fashion says Google
Jon WelchA Norwich street has been named as one of the country's top destinations for fashion-conscious shoppers.Jon Welch
A Norwich street has been named as one of the country's top destinations for fashion-conscious shoppers.
Gentleman's Walk is one of 20 nominees in the Britain's Best Fashion Street category of the first Google Street View awards.
It is nominated alongside renowned shopping streets in cities including London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow.
Shops along the street, and on Haymarket, which adjoins it, include Dorothy Perkins, Fat Face, Topshop and Primark.
Close by are award-winning, family-run department store Jarrolds, department store Debenhams and women's designer boutique Catfish.
It also runs along the front of the city's famous open-air market.
- 1 Single mum resorts to sleeping in her car due to 'unlivable' flat
- 2 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 3 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 4 Team behind Golden Triangle pub take on Edith Cavell in Norwich
- 5 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 6 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 7 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 8 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 9 Bread Source confirms location of new store
- 10 Meet the cone ranger battling anti-social parkers at pick-up time
Gentleman's Walk was selected by judges including Jo Elvin, editor of Glamour magazine; TV presenter Brix Smith Start, recently seen on Gok's Fashion Fix; and designer Jeff Banks.
Mr Banks, who also presented The Clothes Show, said: "The final shortlist for Britain's Best Fashion Street is a testament to the strength and diversity of the UK's high streets."
The awards have been created in advance of the further imagery being added to Google's Street View tool, which allows viewers to view and navigate 360-degree street-level imagery in 25 British towns and cities, including Norwich.
Steve Morphew, leader of Norwich City Council, said: "I am proud and delighted that Gentleman's Walk has been recognised by Google as one of the premier fashion streets in the UK.
"I would like to encourage people not just to enjoy it virtually, but come and take a look at it personally as well. It is wide and tree-lined, featuring three department stores, the largest Monday to Saturday market in England, and premier high street fashion names - as well as artwork, coffee shops, an historic arcade and lively street trading."
One other East Anglian street, Rose Crescent in Cambridge, was also named on the shortlist.
In the Best Foodie Street category, the High Streets of both Cley, near Holt, and Southwold were shortlisted.
� The awards will be decided by a public vote, which closes on Sunday, February 28. To take part, visit www.maps.google.co.uk/ beststreets