Norwich resident celebrates 100th birthday
A Norwich woman has enjoyed celebrating her 100th birthday with friends and family.
Edith Waspe, resident at Philadelphia House of Penn Grove, off Aylsham Road, Norwich, spent Thursday last week proudly wearing her '100th birthday' badge and was surrounded by balloons and celebratory bunches of flowers.
Mrs Waspe said: 'I have enjoyed it.'
As well as receiving her birthday card from the Queen, she was also visited by the current Lord Mayor of Norwich, Tom Dylan and Mrs Waspe said: 'He let me put his hat on.'
Born January 13, 1911 and originally from Wells-next-the-Sea in north Norfolk, Mrs Waspe moved to King Street in Norwich when she was aged just two.
You may also want to watch:
Before getting married she worked at Colmans until she was aged 24, and Mrs Waspe was delighted to receive flowers on her special day from her former employer, congratulating her.
Her daughter Pauline Baxter, 74, of Chenery Drive, Sprowston, said: 'I cannot believe she's 100.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 3 New landlords hope to serve up Thai food in suburban pub
- 4 Duo launch new business inspired by Norwich coffee culture
- 5 Woman's mission to block traffic for 'car free' street party
- 6 'How could somebody do this?' - Clothes stolen from domestic abuse charity
- 7 Ex-filling station set to become kebab and pizza takeaway
- 8 Police boss speaks out after spate of shocking deaths
- 9 Lap dancing club to be allowed to stay open until 6am
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
'She lost her husband 20 years ago after caring for him for six years after he had had his leg amputated.
'She really loves it at Philadelphia House. She had a stroke last year but has recovered really well with the help of the staff'.
As the day drew to a close Mrs Waspe, who is very fond of the residential home, said: 'This my angel house and [the staff] are all my angels. They are all lovely and kind here.'
Have you celebrated a special anniversary? Contact reporter email@example.com or call 01603 772438.