Norwich resident celebrates 100th birthday
A Norwich woman has enjoyed celebrating her 100th birthday with friends and family.
Edith Waspe, resident at Philadelphia House of Penn Grove, off Aylsham Road, Norwich, spent Thursday last week proudly wearing her '100th birthday' badge and was surrounded by balloons and celebratory bunches of flowers.
Mrs Waspe said: 'I have enjoyed it.'
As well as receiving her birthday card from the Queen, she was also visited by the current Lord Mayor of Norwich, Tom Dylan and Mrs Waspe said: 'He let me put his hat on.'
Born January 13, 1911 and originally from Wells-next-the-Sea in north Norfolk, Mrs Waspe moved to King Street in Norwich when she was aged just two.
Before getting married she worked at Colmans until she was aged 24, and Mrs Waspe was delighted to receive flowers on her special day from her former employer, congratulating her.
Her daughter Pauline Baxter, 74, of Chenery Drive, Sprowston, said: 'I cannot believe she's 100.
- 1 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 2 Which parts of Norwich could be underwater by 2030?
- 3 New images show progress of Sweet Briar Road repair
- 4 Dad left fuming as royal flag stolen weeks before jubilee weekend
- 5 Police descend on city home 'frightening the life' out of neighbours
- 6 ANOTHER shop in major city street will soon be empty
- 7 Driver with expired license overtakes police at 95mph
- 8 'Rarely available' Victorian home in Golden Triangle on sale for £475k
- 9 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 10 WATCH: 'Brazen' thief nabs concrete post then makes off with it on bike
'She lost her husband 20 years ago after caring for him for six years after he had had his leg amputated.
'She really loves it at Philadelphia House. She had a stroke last year but has recovered really well with the help of the staff'.
As the day drew to a close Mrs Waspe, who is very fond of the residential home, said: 'This my angel house and [the staff] are all my angels. They are all lovely and kind here.'
Have you celebrated a special anniversary? Contact reporter email@example.com or call 01603 772438.