Norwich pub staff walking 17 miles for cancer unit
A Norwich landlady and two of her staff are walking 17 miles to raise money for a day centre for cancer patients at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Dawn Hopkins, who runs the Rose and the Ketts Tavern pubs in Norwich with husband Kevin, is joining her niece Amy Lemmon, Clare Stanbrook-Davis, Lisa Seager and Ben Allen on the walk from Ludham, near Stalham, to the Rose pub in Queens Road, Norwich, on Saturday, April 9.
She said: 'Amy's husband James was diagnosed with Lymphoma Non Hodgkins disease in February last year just months before their wedding, and has been receiving regular chemotherapy treatment at the Weybourne Unit, so we thought we would try and give something back to them for all the great work they are doing.
'Amy is the bar manager at The Rose and Lisa also works at The Rose. Clare is a customer and Ben comes in with his dad. We all want to support Amy and James and so decided to do this walk.
'We have all been collecting sponsorship and hope to raise over �2,000. We're not the fittest bunch, so it's quite a challenge.'
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lemmon added: 'The unit makes my husband and myself very comfortable when he is receiving treatment for cancer. I want to do my bit to help them. All the people who work there are great and give James the care he needs, and I want to do something to help them in return.'
After the walk there will be a charity night at The Rose, with live music from Layla Ashton and Brett and Woods, and an auction and raffle.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 5 Man seriously injured after crash
- 6 Fears planning shake-up will threaten Norwich city centre
- 7 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 8 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 9 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 10 New 66-bed care home with cinema planned near NDR
Prizes donated so far include personal training sessions, an iPod, a signed Norwich City Football Club ball and shirt and loads of T-shirts and bottled beers.
If you can help with sponsorship and for more information visit www.justgiving.com/Amy-Lemmon.
Are you holding a special event for charity? Call reporter Dvaid Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com