Norwich pub’s fundraising day to boost cancer mum
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
Big-hearted pubgoers helped raise money for a hospital which is treating a young mother-of-three who has been diagnosed with cancer.
The Berstrete Gates in Norwich, was packed today for the charity event, which featured a tombola, a show from the ABC Blues Brothers, charity collections and sponsored head shaves.
The money raised will go to the Castle Hill Hospital in Hull, where the ex-daughter-in-law of one of the pub's regulars is being treated.
Sarah Hobson, 26, who lives in Scunthorpe was diagnosed with cancer of the cervix last month and was told it was stage four, which means she has a 30pc chance of survival.
The mother-of-three is the ex-daughter in law of Samantha Loader, from Norwich, who organised the fun day at the Ber Street pub.
She said: 'They had a big fun day for her up in Lincolnshire which raised about £900 for the hospital, but I couldn't get up there for that, so I decided to put on one here.
'The pub is owned by my aunt Lynn, so she has been great at getting things sorted for me. It's been a good day and people have got into the spirit of it all.'
- 1 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 2 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 3 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 4 Single mum resorts to sleeping in her car due to 'unlivable' flat
- 5 Team behind Golden Triangle pub take on Edith Cavell in Norwich
- 6 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 7 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 8 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 9 Thorpe Road closes to all traffic as resurfacing work begins
- 10 Woman with incurable cancer left devastated after car and jewellery stolen
Miss Hobson, who had an emergency hysterectomy in February and is now facing chemotherapy for the cancer, said she is remaining positive about her battle for her children – Joshua, eight, Jake, six and Alexis, two.
• Are you holding an event to raise money for charity? Call reporter Lucy Wright on 01603 772439 or email firstname.lastname@example.org