Norwich Oddfellows exhibition launched
Peter WalshA society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.Peter Walsh
A society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.
An exhibition, held at the Oddfellows Hall in Hellesdon, will contain a large selection of Oddfellows regalia and information about the local history of the society.
The Oddfellows Society has been a presence in this area since 1844, providing a fascinating history for Norwich residents, and will commemorating the national Society's 200th year. It has 3,500 members in the city.
Running from Tuesday until Friday , the exhibition will be officially opened by Joella Cottingham, chairwoman of Broadland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
Local members will be on hand to explain more about their personal affiliations with the society and what it means to be an Oddfellow. The long standing nature of the Oddfellows also means that there is a wealth of information and regalia in existence, which helps to illustrate the origins and background of the Society.
The Norwich Branch of the Oddfellows has a varied social calendar planned over the next few months, including a holiday to Scotland, a bicentennial garden party, a boat trip and regular social afternoons.
- 1 How landlord behind squalid flats was finally brought to justice
- 2 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 3 See work to transform former bakery into £13m site
- 4 Landlord fined £6,100 for state of Norwich apartment block
- 5 Extinction Rebellion protesters arrested for smashing Barclays windows
- 6 Vulnerable 15-year-old brought to Norwich from London to deal drugs
- 7 'Delighted to be out again' - City centre pub gardens proving popular
- 8 Wrestling school stars in Channel 4 show with top comedian
- 9 House blaze tackled by firefighters
- 10 Concerns for missing 29-year-old Norfolk man's welfare
The exhibition will be displayed daily between 10am and 4pm at the Oddfellows Hall, 113a Reepham Road, Hellesdon.
For general information regarding Oddfellows activities in the Norwich area, contact Brian Earl on 01603 482517.