Norwich Oddfellows exhibition launched
Peter WalshA society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.Peter Walsh
A society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.
An exhibition, held at the Oddfellows Hall in Hellesdon, will contain a large selection of Oddfellows regalia and information about the local history of the society.
The Oddfellows Society has been a presence in this area since 1844, providing a fascinating history for Norwich residents, and will commemorating the national Society's 200th year. It has 3,500 members in the city.
Running from Tuesday until Friday , the exhibition will be officially opened by Joella Cottingham, chairwoman of Broadland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
Local members will be on hand to explain more about their personal affiliations with the society and what it means to be an Oddfellow. The long standing nature of the Oddfellows also means that there is a wealth of information and regalia in existence, which helps to illustrate the origins and background of the Society.
The Norwich Branch of the Oddfellows has a varied social calendar planned over the next few months, including a holiday to Scotland, a bicentennial garden party, a boat trip and regular social afternoons.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 6 best Chinese takeaways in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 4 New 24-hour McDonald's branch poised for green light
- 5 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 6 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 7 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 8 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 9 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 10 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
The exhibition will be displayed daily between 10am and 4pm at the Oddfellows Hall, 113a Reepham Road, Hellesdon.
For general information regarding Oddfellows activities in the Norwich area, contact Brian Earl on 01603 482517.