Norwich Oddfellows exhibition launched
Peter WalshA society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.Peter Walsh
A society is inviting people from Norwich to find out more about the organisation's historic presence in the city at a special event next week.
An exhibition, held at the Oddfellows Hall in Hellesdon, will contain a large selection of Oddfellows regalia and information about the local history of the society.
The Oddfellows Society has been a presence in this area since 1844, providing a fascinating history for Norwich residents, and will commemorating the national Society's 200th year. It has 3,500 members in the city.
Running from Tuesday until Friday , the exhibition will be officially opened by Joella Cottingham, chairwoman of Broadland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
Local members will be on hand to explain more about their personal affiliations with the society and what it means to be an Oddfellow. The long standing nature of the Oddfellows also means that there is a wealth of information and regalia in existence, which helps to illustrate the origins and background of the Society.
The Norwich Branch of the Oddfellows has a varied social calendar planned over the next few months, including a holiday to Scotland, a bicentennial garden party, a boat trip and regular social afternoons.
- 1 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 4 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
- 5 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 6 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 9 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 10 Have your say on plans for new nature reserve on edge of Norwich
The exhibition will be displayed daily between 10am and 4pm at the Oddfellows Hall, 113a Reepham Road, Hellesdon.
For general information regarding Oddfellows activities in the Norwich area, contact Brian Earl on 01603 482517.