Norwich Nordic Walkers get set to tackle Welsh mountains for charity
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
A team of Nordic walkers are getting ready to take on the challenge of tackling three of Wales' highest mountains for charity.
Members of Norwich Nordic Walkers will be swapping Whitlingham Country Park for the mountainous terrain on May 18 and 19 when they take on the Welsh Three Peaks Challenge to raise funds for the Prostate Cancer Research Centre. The fundraiser will see them climb Snowdon as well as Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons and Cadair Idris in Mid Wales.
Martyn Jordan, from Ketteringham, near Wymondham, is leading the Norwich Nordic Walkers team, and he has been a dedicated fundraiser for the Prostate Cancer Research Centre since a friend and colleague of his from the fire service died from prostate cancer.
To help support prostate cancer research, Mr Jordan has previously taken part in the Snowdon 500 Challenge, and he joined the Nordic walking group to help him train for the 2012 Welsh Three Peaks Challenge.
Now he has inspired some of his fellow Nordic walkers to join him when he returns to Wales this year, and between them they hope to raise about £3,000.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jordan, who works for Norfolk police, said: 'Over 30,000 men in the UK are diagnosed with prostate cancer each year.
'We need to raise awareness of prostate cancer and raise lots of money to put into prostate cancer research. We also want to highlight the importance of prostate cancer being diagnosed early.'
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 3 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 4 Prince of Wales Road will bounce back, nightlife stalwarts predict
- 5 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 6 Police close section of A11 due to crash
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 8 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 9 Are you lost? Seal splashes its way to Norwich
- 10 Tenants battled 'extreme mould' for months
Norwich Nordic Walkers members taking part include Maria Holland, who leads the Nordic walking sessions, Vicky Jepson, Cath Montague, Adien Cordial, Helen Gordon, Mandy Jackson, Grace Turner, Alan Edwards and Marion Adams.
First Self Drive is supporting the team by providing a discounted minibus for them to travel to Wales.
To sponsor the team visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/norwichnordicwalkers