Norwich newsagent and cafe share vans to deliver papers and sandwiches
Newspaper vans which distribute hundreds of Norwich Evening News copies a day are now also being used to deliver sandwiches thanks to an innovative idea by an independent cafe owner.
Chris Avey, from The Old Bakery Cafe, in Witard Road, Norwich, came up with the plan after his business was asked to do an increasing number of sandwich deliveries, and he asked neighbouring newsagent Steve McDonald News if it would like to get involved.
Mr Avey said: 'We have now pooled resources and saved economically and environmentally, as, at the end of the morning when their vans are emptied of papers, they are able to fill up with sandwich buffets to deliver instead. Both local businesses are benefiting with plenty of scope for expansion without having to put another van on the road.'
Akintola Dasaolu, from Steve McDonald News in Witard Road, said: 'It is a good idea and it is working very nicely. We are looking to expand it further.'
He said Steve McDonald News had a fleet of 12 vans, with customers across Norwich and other parts of Norfolk. The vans deliver about 2,000 papers a day between 3am and 10am, including about 500 copies of the Evening News and more than 1,000 copies of sister paper the Eastern Daily Press.
You may also want to watch:
The Evening News Love Local campaign aims to boost support for local businesses.
Are you starting up an inventive business idea? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 6 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 7 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 8 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 9 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 10 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears