Norwich mum braves shaving her hair off for cancer charity
A mother-of-two has raised more than £1,300 for cancer by shaving her hair off.
Andrea Wright, who is usually known for having unique and colourful hair styles, decided to take part in the initiative Brave the Shave to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
An emergency medical dispatcher for the East of England Ambulance Service, Mrs Wright said she was 'thrilled' with the amount of support she had received from loved one.
'For the last two years I have helped the local community centre organise a coffee morning and this year I wanted to do something a little more and different for a great charity,' she said.
'On the day itself the shave was welcomed in the heat. Thank you to everyone who has donated.'
You may also want to watch:
So far Mrs Wright has raised £1,351 – well over her initial £500 target.
Her mother, Yvonne Oakes, who helped on the day, added: 'This is a fantastic amount and it is thanks to everyone who sponsored her, amazing. Thank you to everyone for showing Andrea your support. It's very much appreciated.'
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 4 What 45,000 new homes will mean for our city
- 5 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 6 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 7 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 8 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 9 Five of the most expensive properties for rent in Norwich
- 10 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
Mrs Wright has also helped to organise a Macmillan Coffee Morning, which take place today (Friday) at Wensum Community Centre, on Hotblack Road, off Dereham Road.
It will run from 10.30am to 3pm, and light lunches, cakes and teas and coffees will be available.
Every penny raised helps Macmillian to give people with cancer and their families specialised support when they need it the most.
Nationally, this year's Brave the Shave challenge has seen 20,775 people shave their head, raising almost £2,474,000.
To donate to Andrea's head shave visit https://bravetheshave.org.uk/?s=Andrea+Wright&post_type=download
• Are you doing something special to raise money for charity? Email reporter Donna-Louise Bishop or call 01603 772568