Norwich market place to get the Sir Garnet Wolseley pub back - but with a different name
There used to be 13 pubs dotted around Norwich market place but when the Sir Garnet Wolseley closed last year there were none.
But the pub is reopening next Tuesdayunder the new name of Sir Garnet, and will be run by the team behind the successful Birdcage in Pottergate, Norwich.
The new owner Lauren Gregory also owns the Birdcage and the pub will be managed by Hollie West, who will continue to also work at the Birdcage. The pub is getting a fresh facelift with hand-painted signage and a new colour scheme.
Miss West said: 'Sir Garnet Wolseley is a bit of a mouthful and everyone keeps spelling it wrong. We are also calling it the Birdcage's older brother.'
New chef Nick Phillips is promising customers handmade burgers with meat and tomatoes sourced from Norwich market, and the pub will also sell real ales from Norfolk breweries.
You may also want to watch:
The pub started trading in about 1861, but only adopted the name Sir Garnet Wolseley in 1874, named after Field Marshal Garnet Joseph Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley.
The Evening News has been urging customers to return to pubs as part of our Love your Local campaign.
- 1 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 2 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
- 5 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 6 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 7 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 8 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 9 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 10 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
To see stories from the campaign go to www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
See The Evening News' Pub of the Week on page 48.
Have you got a pub story for our campaign? Email firstname.lastname@example.org