Norwich man killed on rail track
Peter WalshA man from Norwich has died after being hit by two trains in Essex.Peter Walsh
A man from Norwich has died after being hit by two trains in Essex.
The 47-year-old man, who has not been named, was killed after falling from a platform at Witham railway station on Tuesday.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman confirmed the man was hit by a Chelmsford-bound freight train, before being struck by another train travelling in the opposite direction at about 11.45am.
She said: 'Officers from BTP and Essex Police attended the incident, alongside paramedics."
You may also want to watch:
She said it looked like it may have been suicide, adding: "There was no third party involvement, it appears to have been an individual act."
However, there were rumours that the man had fallen from the platform accidentally.
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 6 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears
- 9 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 10 Two men charged with aggravated burglary at used car lot
The station was closed for an hour and 40 minutes, reopening at 1.25pm, shortly after the man's body was carried out of the station entrance and taken away.
The two train drivers and a woman on the platform, who witnessed the incident, were treated by paramedics for shock.
The man's family have been informed.
His death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner
Would you like to pay tribute to the victim? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email email@example.com