Norwich inquest told of tragic death of pensioner in fire at her home in Burston, near Diss
An inquest has heard how Norfolk pensioner Pearl Stebbings, 79, died in a fire at her home in Burston, near Diss, on April 22 last year.
Today's Norwich inquest was told that Mrs Stebbings suffered from dementia, could not walk without using a frame and was also a heavy smoker.
She was given a pendant push-button alarm to wear that connected to a call centre, in case of emergencies, but she was not wearing it at the time, although a smoke detector was fitted to her home and was working.
Mrs Stebbings had been diagnosed by a mental health nurse just days before her death as lacking the capacity to be living alone at the semi-detached bungalow, which was owned by Saffron Housing Trust.
She was about to be transferred to a residential care home but died in the fire before she could be moved.
You may also want to watch:
The inquest was told that the likeliest cause of the blaze at Mrs Stebbing's home was a lighted cigarette that fell from her hand.
Norfolk coroner William Armstrong recorded a verdict of death as a result of an accidental fire at home while suffering from dementia.
- 1 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 2 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 3 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 4 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 5 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 6 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 7 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 8 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 Norwich man wanted by police