Norwich helps give developing countries eye care
National Express and Norwich North Lions are teaming-up to recycle lost pairs of glasses to help people in the developing world see more clearly.
National Express East Anglia's Norwich-based lost property team are donating all of the unclaimed spectacles they have collected over the past two and a half years to the Lions.
David Bowden the president of the Norwich North Alpha Lions Club explains: 'The glasses we collect go to help people across Africa, India and South America.
'We're over the moon with the donation of more than 750 pairs from National Express East Anglia.
'Before long these glasses which were left on trains in East Anglia will be helping to improve the sight of people in developing countries and in so doing help them to regain their independence.'
In one year alone, hundreds of pairs of glasses are handed into the lost property office at Norwich station and many are never reclaimed.
The local Lions club offered to help with the grading of the spectacles, cleaning and polishing and distributing across India and Africa and South America to help children and adults with visual impairments. Each pair will be adjusted to meet the specific needs of the recipient. Anita Miles, National Express East Anglia's Norwich station manager said: 'We're really pleased to have been able to help the Norwich North Alpha Lions Club in the charitable work they do.
- 1 Riverside pub undergoes £80k refurb in time for summer
- 2 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 3 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 4 Drivers bemused as underwear strewn across pedestrian crossing
- 5 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
- 6 Why NR3 is being dubbed the 'new Shoreditch'
- 7 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 8 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 9 11 reasons why Norwich is the best city
- 10 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
' I'm glad to know that these unclaimed spectacles can be re-used and may go some way to help make someone's life a little easier.'
For more information and to find your local lions club please log onto www.lionsmd105.org
Is your organisation holding an event to help others? Contact Local Life editor Donna-Louise Bishop on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 772438.