Norwich helps give developing countries eye care
National Express and Norwich North Lions are teaming-up to recycle lost pairs of glasses to help people in the developing world see more clearly.
National Express East Anglia's Norwich-based lost property team are donating all of the unclaimed spectacles they have collected over the past two and a half years to the Lions.
David Bowden the president of the Norwich North Alpha Lions Club explains: 'The glasses we collect go to help people across Africa, India and South America.
'We're over the moon with the donation of more than 750 pairs from National Express East Anglia.
'Before long these glasses which were left on trains in East Anglia will be helping to improve the sight of people in developing countries and in so doing help them to regain their independence.'
You may also want to watch:
In one year alone, hundreds of pairs of glasses are handed into the lost property office at Norwich station and many are never reclaimed.
The local Lions club offered to help with the grading of the spectacles, cleaning and polishing and distributing across India and Africa and South America to help children and adults with visual impairments. Each pair will be adjusted to meet the specific needs of the recipient. Anita Miles, National Express East Anglia's Norwich station manager said: 'We're really pleased to have been able to help the Norwich North Alpha Lions Club in the charitable work they do.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 8 Norwich man wanted by police
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
' I'm glad to know that these unclaimed spectacles can be re-used and may go some way to help make someone's life a little easier.'
For more information and to find your local lions club please log onto www.lionsmd105.org
Is your organisation holding an event to help others? Contact Local Life editor Donna-Louise Bishop on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 772438.