Norwich hairdressers help raise hundreds at golf day
City hairdressers swapped their scissors for golf clubs when they joined friends, customers and guests for a charity golf day.
More than �450 was raised for Norfolk and Waveney cancer charity Big C at the inaugural Clever Dicks Charity Golf Day on September 15.
The event, organised by Clever Dicks Hair Salon in All Saints Green, Norwich, saw six teams of four take to the green at Costessey Park Golf Club.
Organiser Chris Ketley, from Clever Dicks, said: 'I didn't want to make it about any one person but as a hairdresser a lot of people tell you their worries and the amount of people who are personally affected or their relatives or friends are affected by cancer is incredible.
'I'm in a position of knowing lots of people that I thought if I get lots of people together and get a few pounds off each of them, then we could raise a lot money for a great cause.
You may also want to watch:
'I was hoping to raise two or three hundred pounds but we raised a lot more than that, which is fantastic.' The event saw participants play Texas Scramble, considered to be one of the most popular tournament formats in golf, where all players tee off at each hole.
There was also a raffle and a putting competition.
- 1 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 2 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 3 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 4 Mayhem across city as drivers race to the petrol pumps
- 5 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 6 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 7 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 8 Norfolk to be hit by weekend bus cancellations due to driver shortage
- 9 New flights from Norwich Airport to Jersey
- 10 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
Norwich-based company Golf Days UK, run by brothers Ben and Sam Phillips, helped organise the event. Mr Ketley added: 'It was a fantastic day, the sun shone and all abilities of golf turned out. We had lots of people asking us if we were going to do it again next year and we're hoping to make it an annual event.'
Big C, this year's civic charity, provides cancer equipment in Norfolk and Waveney's hospitals and across rural areas, supports those with or affected by cancer and funds scientist to carry out world-class research.
Donations for the Norwich-based charity are still being collected in Clever Dicks Hair Salon.
To watch a video of the Clever Dicks Charity Golf Day, go to www.eveningnews24.co.uk
Are you organising an event for charity? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com