Norwich gallery set to offer new opportunities for artists
An art gallery will open its doors in the city tomorrow in a venture that will offer young adults with disabilities a range of new opportunities.
It is hoped there will be a number of jobs created for members of Norfolk and Norwich Scope Association (NANSA) as the 'artshoproject' in Earlham Road shows work from local artists, while offering retail and training opportunities.
A website will also be launched in the new year as the gallery, based in the Earlham House Shopping Centre, sells the artwork and a variety of prints.
A private opening ceremony will be the culmination of more than two years of work, following a suggestion from a social worker at the charity's adult centre in Bowthorpe Road.
Richard Shepherd, art tutor at the centre, said: 'He was pretty impressed with what he saw and thought it would be an idea to showcase some of that art, as they don't get that opportunity.'
You may also want to watch:
As a result the charity, which offers support to those with cerebral palsy, began looking at a way to show the work alongside that of other local artists.
The first artist on show will be Stacey Doy, of Sprowston and the gallery will be open from 9.30am to 3.30pm Mondays to Saturdays.
- 1 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 2 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 5 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 6 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 7 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 8 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 9 Cannabis dealer had more than £8300 in cash stashed away
- 10 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
If you are interested in exhibiting or volunteering call 01603 505066.
Are you helping to improve opportunities for artists? Contact Richard Wood on 01603 772423 or email firstname.lastname@example.org