Norwich fundraising car park scheme wins award
Sam EmanuelOrganisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.Sam Emanuel
Organisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.
Norwich-based parking operator RCP Parking and Bignold Primary and Nursery School became the first winners of a new national Parking in the Community Award at a ceremony in London on Friday.
The school has turned its staff car park and playgrounds into a popular city centre shoppers car park at weekends and during school holidays for more than 20 years.
The scheme was originally run through parent groups and manned by helpers but, in 2007, national parking firm RCP was called in to operate it.
You may also want to watch:
The 150-space car park, off Wessex Street, raises money for school improvements such as a new school library, and a range of good causes, helping children as far afield as Africa. Money has also gone towards major refurbishment of the Bignold kitchen and dining hall.
RCP and Bignold School were awarded first place in the Parking in the Community category of the British Parking Awards 2010, presented by TV impressionist Jon Culshaw.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 4 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 5 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 6 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 7 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 10 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
School governor Patrick Larner said: "RCP Parking are exceptional partners - under their very slick, enthusiastic and professional stewardship, we have raised more money than ever for school funds. We are very pleased indeed that our Norfolk scheme has become the first ever winner of this British Parking Award."