Norwich fundraising car park scheme wins award
Sam EmanuelOrganisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.Sam Emanuel
Organisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.
Norwich-based parking operator RCP Parking and Bignold Primary and Nursery School became the first winners of a new national Parking in the Community Award at a ceremony in London on Friday.
The school has turned its staff car park and playgrounds into a popular city centre shoppers car park at weekends and during school holidays for more than 20 years.
The scheme was originally run through parent groups and manned by helpers but, in 2007, national parking firm RCP was called in to operate it.
You may also want to watch:
The 150-space car park, off Wessex Street, raises money for school improvements such as a new school library, and a range of good causes, helping children as far afield as Africa. Money has also gone towards major refurbishment of the Bignold kitchen and dining hall.
RCP and Bignold School were awarded first place in the Parking in the Community category of the British Parking Awards 2010, presented by TV impressionist Jon Culshaw.
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 4 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 5 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 6 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 7 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 8 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 9 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 10 What 45,000 new homes will mean for our city
School governor Patrick Larner said: "RCP Parking are exceptional partners - under their very slick, enthusiastic and professional stewardship, we have raised more money than ever for school funds. We are very pleased indeed that our Norfolk scheme has become the first ever winner of this British Parking Award."