Norwich fundraising car park scheme wins award
Sam EmanuelOrganisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.Sam Emanuel
Organisers of a fundraising car park scheme at a primary school in Norwich are celebrating after being named the best in Britain.
Norwich-based parking operator RCP Parking and Bignold Primary and Nursery School became the first winners of a new national Parking in the Community Award at a ceremony in London on Friday.
The school has turned its staff car park and playgrounds into a popular city centre shoppers car park at weekends and during school holidays for more than 20 years.
The scheme was originally run through parent groups and manned by helpers but, in 2007, national parking firm RCP was called in to operate it.
The 150-space car park, off Wessex Street, raises money for school improvements such as a new school library, and a range of good causes, helping children as far afield as Africa. Money has also gone towards major refurbishment of the Bignold kitchen and dining hall.
RCP and Bignold School were awarded first place in the Parking in the Community category of the British Parking Awards 2010, presented by TV impressionist Jon Culshaw.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 5 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 6 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 7 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 8 REVEALED: Hotspots in Norwich with the most burglaries
- 9 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 10 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
School governor Patrick Larner said: "RCP Parking are exceptional partners - under their very slick, enthusiastic and professional stewardship, we have raised more money than ever for school funds. We are very pleased indeed that our Norfolk scheme has become the first ever winner of this British Parking Award."