‘It put us off our Sunday lunch’ - Norwich family find glass in supermarket ready meal
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich woman was left with a bleeding mouth after finding glass in a supermarket side dish.
The Smith family ordered a ready prepared red cabbage product on online delivery from Sainsbury's in Pound Lane on Friday August 31 for their Sunday roast.
Instead they were substituted with Rumbledethumps - a Scottish dish containing potato, swede and savoy cabbage topped with cheese.
But the family got an extra ingredient they definitely didn't want when they found a piece of glass lurking in the dish.
Matt Smith said: 'The product was Sainsbury's Rumbledethumps and my wife found it by biting into it which caused her mouth to bleed for about five minutes.
'She was obviously a bit upset and it put all of us off our Sunday lunch a bit.'
After making the dangerous find, Mr Smith sent an email to Sainsbury's on Monday and claims he didn't receive a response from the supermarket.
READ MORE: 'No restaurant in Rome has chicken nuggets' – Norwich restaurant owner blasts TripAdvisor criticHe also kept the glass and packaging in case Sainsbury's or Norwich Council food safety team needed it.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 3 Sweet Briar Road 'still on track' to reopen by end of May
- 4 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 5 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
- 6 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 7 High-end boutique reopens in its former shop
- 8 We built this city: Meet the firm behind some of Norwich's famous landmarks
- 9 5 affordable homes for first-time buyers currently for sale in Norwich
- 10 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
After being contacted by this paper, the supermarket has asked Mr Smith to take the product into store for investigation.
A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: 'We've apologised to Matt and are urgently investigating with our supplier.'