‘It put us off our Sunday lunch’ - Norwich family find glass in supermarket ready meal
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich woman was left with a bleeding mouth after finding glass in a supermarket side dish.
The Smith family ordered a ready prepared red cabbage product on online delivery from Sainsbury's in Pound Lane on Friday August 31 for their Sunday roast.
Instead they were substituted with Rumbledethumps - a Scottish dish containing potato, swede and savoy cabbage topped with cheese.
But the family got an extra ingredient they definitely didn't want when they found a piece of glass lurking in the dish.
Matt Smith said: 'The product was Sainsbury's Rumbledethumps and my wife found it by biting into it which caused her mouth to bleed for about five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
'She was obviously a bit upset and it put all of us off our Sunday lunch a bit.'
After making the dangerous find, Mr Smith sent an email to Sainsbury's on Monday and claims he didn't receive a response from the supermarket.
READ MORE: 'No restaurant in Rome has chicken nuggets' – Norwich restaurant owner blasts TripAdvisor criticHe also kept the glass and packaging in case Sainsbury's or Norwich Council food safety team needed it.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 3 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 4 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 5 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 6 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Tenants living in freezing, dark flats after power went out FIVE days ago
- 9 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 10 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
After being contacted by this paper, the supermarket has asked Mr Smith to take the product into store for investigation.
A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: 'We've apologised to Matt and are urgently investigating with our supplier.'