Norwich events to mark Refugee Week
Peter WalshA week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week from June 14 to June 20.Peter Walsh
A week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week.
Running from June 14 to June 20, it is the only UK-wide programme of events that promotes the importance of sanctuary and the benefits it can bring to both refugees and host communities.
This year Refugee Week events are being planned across Norwich and for the first time across the whole of Norfolk as members of the community, groups, businesses and organisations get inspired and decide to put on an event.
Whatever people are into, whether its arts, music, food or just meeting people, there will be an event for everyone during the seven-day event.
You may also want to watch:
Pa Musa Jobarteh, the 2010 co-ordinator for Refugee Week events in Norfolk, said: 'It's been exciting to see the interest in Refugee Week grow every year in Norwich and now across the county.
'Our local theme for the Norwich and Norfolk Refugee Week 2010 is community cohesion and engagement. We hope people will come and enjoy the events. Norwich and Norfolk is proud of its history of welcoming newcomers into the community and Refugee Week is another way of celebrating the contribution of refugees to Norfolk's past and present.'
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 5 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 6 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 7 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 10 Man seriously injured after crash
For more information about events log onto http://bridgeplus.org.uk/html/refugee_week_2010.html