Norwich events to mark Refugee Week
Peter WalshA week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week from June 14 to June 20.Peter Walsh
A week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week.
Running from June 14 to June 20, it is the only UK-wide programme of events that promotes the importance of sanctuary and the benefits it can bring to both refugees and host communities.
This year Refugee Week events are being planned across Norwich and for the first time across the whole of Norfolk as members of the community, groups, businesses and organisations get inspired and decide to put on an event.
Whatever people are into, whether its arts, music, food or just meeting people, there will be an event for everyone during the seven-day event.
You may also want to watch:
Pa Musa Jobarteh, the 2010 co-ordinator for Refugee Week events in Norfolk, said: 'It's been exciting to see the interest in Refugee Week grow every year in Norwich and now across the county.
'Our local theme for the Norwich and Norfolk Refugee Week 2010 is community cohesion and engagement. We hope people will come and enjoy the events. Norwich and Norfolk is proud of its history of welcoming newcomers into the community and Refugee Week is another way of celebrating the contribution of refugees to Norfolk's past and present.'
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 3 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 4 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 5 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 6 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 7 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 8 Public invited to have say on plans to convert derelict pub
- 9 Sweepers clean up in city after busy Saturday night - and punters behave
- 10 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
For more information about events log onto http://bridgeplus.org.uk/html/refugee_week_2010.html