Norwich events to mark Refugee Week
Peter WalshA week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week from June 14 to June 20.Peter Walsh
A week of arts, cultural and educational events will be held in Norwich and Norfolk to celebrate national Refugee Week.
Running from June 14 to June 20, it is the only UK-wide programme of events that promotes the importance of sanctuary and the benefits it can bring to both refugees and host communities.
This year Refugee Week events are being planned across Norwich and for the first time across the whole of Norfolk as members of the community, groups, businesses and organisations get inspired and decide to put on an event.
Whatever people are into, whether its arts, music, food or just meeting people, there will be an event for everyone during the seven-day event.
You may also want to watch:
Pa Musa Jobarteh, the 2010 co-ordinator for Refugee Week events in Norfolk, said: 'It's been exciting to see the interest in Refugee Week grow every year in Norwich and now across the county.
'Our local theme for the Norwich and Norfolk Refugee Week 2010 is community cohesion and engagement. We hope people will come and enjoy the events. Norwich and Norfolk is proud of its history of welcoming newcomers into the community and Refugee Week is another way of celebrating the contribution of refugees to Norfolk's past and present.'
- 1 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 4 Community in shock as murder investigation launched
- 5 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Suburb's shock after mugging attempt leaves teen laying on path
- 8 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 9 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 10 New pop-up dried flower store opens in Norwich
For more information about events log onto http://bridgeplus.org.uk/html/refugee_week_2010.html