Norwich doctor battles tumour - and sails around Britain
Victoria NichollsA Norwich doctor battling a brain tumour has embarked on an ambitious charity mission to sail around the country.Victoria Nicholls
A Norwich doctor battling a brain tumour has embarked on an ambitious charity mission to sail around the country.
As previously reported in the Evening News, Josie Phillips, a junior doctor at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital, is sailing anti-clockwise around Britain with her husband Roger in a bid to raise �20,000 for Brain Tumour Research.
Mrs Phillips, 27, is determined to enjoy life and not let the disease stop her from accomplishing some of her dreams.
The couple set sail from Ipswich on Saturday, mooring at Lowestoft harbour for the first night of their voyage. There they were greeted by a fellow fund-raiser from Lowestoft, Wendy Savage, who lost her own daughter to a brain tumour.
Mrs Phillips said: "Over Christmas I was feeling very low, so Roger and I started to think about what I could do when I felt better and we hit upon the idea of sailing around Britain to raise awareness about the plight of brain tumour patients and at the same time fundraising for the charity Brain Tumour Research, as well as the Big C cancer centre at my local hospital in Norwich."
� To donate, or track their progress visit www.contessa32.co.uk
- 1 TUI flight to Tenerife cancelled as it was on the tarmac
- 2 Emergency services called to person in water on Prince of Wales Road
- 3 Traffic builds around Earlham Park as gates open for Let's Rock
- 4 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 5 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 6 Mystery over who needs to cut overgrown hedge amid safety fears
- 7 Can you help trace this Norwich man's next of kin?
- 8 Parents 'terrified' after THIRD run-in with cars driving on pavement
- 9 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 10 'I went to hospital with dental pain - it turns out I had cancer'